Functions developed in 6.4, to be used in 7

  • Lukas Ruf
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 2, 2006
      Dear all,

      for the 6-series of Vim, I have been using a bunch of functions that
      greatly simplified my daily work.

      Unfortunately, they seem not to be available in my (Debian unstable)
      Vim 7 installation.

      My questions:
      - can I list all functions that are currently available in an overview
      manner?

      - has there anything changed significantly re. the function handling
      between 6 and 7?

      Thanks in advance for any help!

      Best regards,

      Lukas
      --
      Lukas Ruf <http://www.lpr.ch> | Ad Personam
      rbacs <http://wiki.lpr.ch> | Restaurants, Bars and Clubs
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 2, 2006
        On Fri, Jun 02, 2006 at 12:53:02PM +0200, Lukas Ruf wrote:
        > My questions:
        > - can I list all functions that are currently available in an overview
        > manner?

        If you're referring to Vim's builtin functions, ":he functions" will
        give you the list you're looking for.

        > - has there anything changed significantly re. the function handling
        > between 6 and 7?

        Not that I know of, but ":he version7" should list any significant
        changes.

        James
      • Charles E Campbell Jr
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 2, 2006
          Lukas Ruf wrote:

          >for the 6-series of Vim, I have been using a bunch of functions that
          >greatly simplified my daily work.
          >
          >Unfortunately, they seem not to be available in my (Debian unstable)
          >Vim 7 installation.

          Are you really talking about functions, or are you talking about
          commands/maps/etc? Would
          you please give an example. You weren't saving plugins and whatnot in
          the system directories,
          I hope. Such things should go in $HOME/.vim/ .

          >My questions:
          >- can I list all functions that are currently available in an overview
          > manner?

          :fun

          >- has there anything changed significantly re. the function handling
          > between 6 and 7?

          Yes, but its a superset -- ie. vim v6 can't handle functions destined
          for vim 7.0's autoload'ing, but
          vim 7.0 can handle anything vim v6 could.

          Regards,
          Chip Campbell
        • Lukas Ruf
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 2, 2006
            > Charles E Campbell Jr <drchip@...> [2006-06-02
            > 16:50]:

            thanks for answering!

            > Lukas Ruf wrote:
            >
            > >for the 6-series of Vim, I have been using a bunch of functions
            > >that greatly simplified my daily work.
            > >
            > >Unfortunately, they seem not to be available in my (Debian
            > >unstable) Vim 7 installation.
            > >

            > Are you really talking about functions, or are you talking about
            > commands/maps/etc? Would you please give an example. You weren't
            > saving plugins and whatnot in the system directories, I hope. Such
            > things should go in $HOME/.vim/ .
            >
            > >My questions: - can I list all functions that are currently
            > >available in an overview manner?
            > >

            > :fun

            stupid me.

            This way, I could find the functions all -- hence, I have a problem
            with my mappings.....

            wbr,
            Lukas