Reassigning F keys in eVim

  • John R. Culleton
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 1, 2006
      I want to create a special application for MSWin machines that
      works somewhat as follows:

      When clicked a .bat file calls evim with a script or whatever
      that adds certain F key
      functions, e.g., F3 activates an external program. The
      equivalent map command would be

      imap <F3> <Ctrl-O>:!pdftex book.tex<Cr>a

      ..or something like that. When F3 is pressed we drop out of
      insert mode temporarily and then execute an external command,
      returning to insert mode thereafter.

      When I try to import such a string it just gets added to the file
      as text.

      A special _gvimrc file is not an attractive option because of difficulties
      in placement on someone else's computer. Unfortunately Vim does
      not look in the current directory for a _gvimrc file.

      --
      John Culleton
    • Eric Arnold
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 1, 2006
        Try importing via a file sourced by -S

        On 6/1/06, John R. Culleton <john@...> wrote:
        > I want to create a special application for MSWin machines that
        > works somewhat as follows:
        >
        > When clicked a .bat file calls evim with a script or whatever
        > that adds certain F key
        > functions, e.g., F3 activates an external program. The
        > equivalent map command would be
        >
        > imap <F3> <Ctrl-O>:!pdftex book.tex<Cr>a
        >
        > ..or something like that. When F3 is pressed we drop out of
        > insert mode temporarily and then execute an external command,
        > returning to insert mode thereafter.
        >
        > When I try to import such a string it just gets added to the file
        > as text.
        >
        > A special _gvimrc file is not an attractive option because of difficulties
        > in placement on someone else's computer. Unfortunately Vim does
        > not look in the current directory for a _gvimrc file.
        >
        > --
        > John Culleton

      • Gerald Lai
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 1, 2006
          On Thu, 1 Jun 2006, John R. Culleton wrote:

          [snip]
          > functions, e.g., F3 activates an external program. The
          > equivalent map command would be
          >
          > imap <F3> <Ctrl-O>:!pdftex book.tex<Cr>a
          [snip]
          > When I try to import such a string it just gets added to the file
          > as text.
          [snip]

          Change "<Ctrl-O>" to "<C-O>":

          imap <F3> <C-O>:!pdftex book.tex<Cr>a