Re: Tabline function sometimes recalled when highlighting set/changed.

  • Eric Arnold
    Message 1 of 9 , May 1, 2006
      On 5/1/06, Eric Arnold <eric.p.arnold@...> wrote:
      > I think I've found the thing that triggers my problem with
      > TabLineSet.vim where the tabline function get called for every
      > keystroke: I reset the highlighting in the tabline function.
      >
      > Does it seem reasonable that the highlighting changes are triggering
      > the tabline to re-update (and thus creating a loop)?

      Ack. It's not the only trigger. Removing the highlighting init fixed
      the prob., in one case, but there is still another :-(
    • Bram Moolenaar
      Message 2 of 9 , May 1, 2006
        Eric Arnold wrote:

        > I think I've found the thing that triggers my problem with
        > TabLineSet.vim where the tabline function get called for every
        > keystroke: I reset the highlighting in the tabline function.
        >
        > Does it seem reasonable that the highlighting changes are triggering
        > the tabline to re-update (and thus creating a loop)?

        How many times do I need to repeat this: Pleeeeease give a reproducable
        example. I don't have time to guess what you are doing.

        --
        If you don't get everything you want, think of
        everything you didn't get and don't want.

      • Eric Arnold
        Message 3 of 9 , May 1, 2006
          You don't need to repeat yourself. If I could give you a reproducible
          code fragment, I would. It happens as part of a relatively long
          script.

          It's a *data point*. A piece of information. "Setting highlighting
          from the tabline function causes it to re-trigger on the next
          keystroke". In this case, it's a rather specific piece of
          information.

          Once again, I'm not demanding a fix. I'm not asking you to guess what
          I'm doing, but why not let you know about this? I'm only asking you
          to think about it a little. You might get a sudden idea, since you're
          the one who knows the Vim code.

          You could at least file it away. If you gather pieces of information
          about a project, you eventually get correlations which are useful!

          However, if you can't use partial information for *anything*, then I'm
          nonplussed, would be the word. If you want silence from users are
          unable to give a definitive test case, while trying to *guess* what
          the Vim code is doing, that seems counter-productive.

          > Eric Arnold wrote:
          >
          > > I think I've found the thing that triggers my problem with
          > > TabLineSet.vim where the tabline function get called for every
          > > keystroke: I reset the highlighting in the tabline function.
          > >
          > > Does it seem reasonable that the highlighting changes are triggering
          > > the tabline to re-update (and thus creating a loop)?
          >
          > How many times do I need to repeat this: Pleeeeease give a reproducable
          > example. I don't have time to guess what you are doing.
          >
          > --
          > If you don't get everything you want, think of
          > everything you didn't get and don't want.

          > \\\ download, build and distribute -- http://www.A-A-P.org ///

        • Eric Arnold
          Message 4 of 9 , May 1, 2006
            I haven't been idle on this. I was unable to get my test case working
            for a simple but un-obvious reason. It requires that at least one
            other window be open.

            Run the following, and open two windows. Edit a file in one. Open a
            new line, which I assume triggers the tabline to trigger as the buffer
            becomes modified. Then as you move the cursor around, you should see
            the "Tst#" prompt incrementing with each keystroke.

            let s:counter = 0
            function! Tst()
            call Tst_set_hl()
            let s:counter += 1
            echo 'Tst#'.s:counter
            return 'A test string'
            endfunction

            set tabline=%!Tst()

            if &showtabline < 1
            set showtabline=1 " 2=always
            endif

            function! Tst_set_hl()
            hi! Tst_hl term=bold
            endfunction
          • Bram Moolenaar
            Message 5 of 9 , May 2, 2006
              Eric Arnold wrote:

              > I haven't been idle on this. I was unable to get my test case working
              > for a simple but un-obvious reason. It requires that at least one
              > other window be open.
              >
              > Run the following, and open two windows. Edit a file in one. Open a
              > new line, which I assume triggers the tabline to trigger as the buffer
              > becomes modified. Then as you move the cursor around, you should see
              > the "Tst#" prompt incrementing with each keystroke.
              >
              > let s:counter = 0
              > function! Tst()
              > call Tst_set_hl()
              > let s:counter += 1
              > echo 'Tst#'.s:counter
              > return 'A test string'
              > endfunction
              >
              > set tabline=%!Tst()
              >
              > if &showtabline < 1
              > set showtabline=1 " 2=always
              > endif
              >

              > function! Tst_set_hl()
              > hi! Tst_hl term=bold
              > endfunction

              I don't see the problem.

              I have to guess that where you talk about another window you actually
              mean another tab page, otherwise the tab pages line isn't displayed at
              all.

              I only see the "Tst#N" displayed when I switch between tab pages with
              "gt".

              I guess your example is missing something essential. Try starting with
              "vim -u NONE".

              --
              "The future's already arrived - it's just not evenly distributed yet."
              -- William Gibson

            • Benji Fisher
              Message 6 of 9 , May 2, 2006
                On Tue, May 02, 2006 at 02:17:58PM +0200, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

                > Eric Arnold wrote:
                >
                > > I haven't been idle on this. I was unable to get my test case working
                > > for a simple but un-obvious reason. It requires that at least one
                > > other window be open.
                > >
                > > Run the following, and open two windows. Edit a file in one. Open a
                > > new line, which I assume triggers the tabline to trigger as the buffer
                > > becomes modified. Then as you move the cursor around, you should see
                > > the "Tst#" prompt incrementing with each keystroke.

                > I don't see the problem.

                I can reproduce this. As Eric says, it is a little tricky. I
                wrote the following to test.vim:

                let s:counter = 0
                function! Tst()
                call Tst_set_hl()
                let s:counter += 1
                echo 'Tst#'.s:counter
                return 'A test string'
                endfunction

                set tabline=%!Tst()

                if &showtabline < 1
                set showtabline=1 " 2=always
                endif

                function! Tst_set_hl()
                hi! Tst_hl term=bold
                endfunction

                Then I started vim with

                $ vim -u test.vim --noplugin test.vim

                (almost as good as -u NONE, right?) It seems that the problem comes up
                (sometimes) when there are two tabs and two windows in one of them:

                :tabnew
                gt
                :sp

                Now, starting from Normal mode, I open a new line and type some
                characters:

                oxxxx

                The message shows up, and the number increases by 2 each time I add a
                character.

                HTH --Benji Fisher
              • Bram Moolenaar
                Message 7 of 9 , May 2, 2006
                  Benji Fisher wrote:

                  > On Tue, May 02, 2006 at 02:17:58PM +0200, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Eric Arnold wrote:
                  > >
                  > > > I haven't been idle on this. I was unable to get my test case working
                  > > > for a simple but un-obvious reason. It requires that at least one
                  > > > other window be open.
                  > > >
                  > > > Run the following, and open two windows. Edit a file in one. Open a
                  > > > new line, which I assume triggers the tabline to trigger as the buffer
                  > > > becomes modified. Then as you move the cursor around, you should see
                  > > > the "Tst#" prompt incrementing with each keystroke.
                  >
                  > > I don't see the problem.
                  >
                  > I can reproduce this. As Eric says, it is a little tricky. I
                  > wrote the following to test.vim:
                  >
                  > let s:counter = 0
                  > function! Tst()
                  > call Tst_set_hl()
                  > let s:counter += 1
                  > echo 'Tst#'.s:counter
                  > return 'A test string'
                  > endfunction
                  >
                  > set tabline=%!Tst()
                  >
                  > if &showtabline < 1
                  > set showtabline=1 " 2=always
                  > endif
                  >

                  > function! Tst_set_hl()
                  > hi! Tst_hl term=bold
                  > endfunction
                  >
                  > Then I started vim with
                  >
                  > $ vim -u test.vim --noplugin test.vim
                  >
                  > (almost as good as -u NONE, right?) It seems that the problem comes up
                  > (sometimes) when there are two tabs and two windows in one of them:
                  >
                  > :tabnew
                  > gt
                  > :sp
                  >
                  > Now, starting from Normal mode, I open a new line and type some
                  > characters:
                  >
                  > oxxxx
                  >
                  > The message shows up, and the number increases by 2 each time I add a
                  > character.

                  Well, yes, I can see that. What I don't understand is why you expect it
                  not to increase.

                  What happens is that during the redraw of the tabline ":hi" is used,
                  which causes a redraw. So 'tabline' is evaluated again and again. You
                  must actually be lucky that Vim doesn't hang.

                  Just make sure that drawing the tabline doesn't cause Vim to redraw the
                  display. In this example you could check if the Tst_hl highlight was
                  already set.

                  --
                  Your company is doomed if your primary product is overhead transparencies.
                  (Scott Adams - The Dilbert principle)

                • Eric Arnold
                  Message 8 of 9 , May 2, 2006

                    > Benji Fisher wrote:

                    > > > I don't see the problem.
                    > >
                    > > I can reproduce this. As Eric says, it is a little tricky. I
                    > > wrote the following to test.vim:
                    > >
                    > > let s:counter = 0
                    > > function! Tst()
                    > > call Tst_set_hl()
                    > > let s:counter += 1
                    > > echo 'Tst#'.s:counter
                    > > return 'A test string'
                    > > endfunction
                    > >
                    > > set tabline=%!Tst()
                    > >
                    > > if &showtabline < 1
                    > > set showtabline=1 " 2=always
                    > > endif
                    > >

                    > > function! Tst_set_hl()
                    > > hi! Tst_hl term=bold
                    > > endfunction
                    > >
                    > > Then I started vim with
                    > >
                    > > $ vim -u test.vim --noplugin test.vim
                    > >
                    > > (almost as good as -u NONE, right?) It seems that the problem comes up
                    > > (sometimes) when there are two tabs and two windows in one of them:
                    > >
                    > > :tabnew
                    > > gt
                    > > :sp
                    > >
                    > > Now, starting from Normal mode, I open a new line and type some
                    > > characters:
                    > >
                    > > oxxxx
                    > >
                    > > The message shows up, and the number increases by 2 each time I add a
                    > > character.
                    >
                    > Well, yes, I can see that. What I don't understand is why you expect it
                    > not to increase.

                    Two reasons: 1) it doesn't happen in most cases, and 2) because the
                    conditions for the redrawing of the tabline are implicit rather than
                    explicit. It makes sense this would include updating of tabs, etc.
                    That highlight commands should cause a redraw which would re-trigger
                    the tabline function is not as clear, though in hindsight it does seem
                    so.

                    > What happens is that during the redraw of the tabline ":hi" is used,
                    > which causes a redraw. So 'tabline' is evaluated again and again. You
                    > must actually be lucky that Vim doesn't hang.

                    Part of what made this so hard to track down was that when I added the
                    highlighting call, everything went just fine for a while, and by the
                    time I encountered the problem, many other changes had been made to
                    the script.

                    For reasons I don't understand yet, it requires a very specific set of
                    conditions for it to be a problem, which suggests that the loop
                    doesn't have to occur at all.

                    > Just make sure that drawing the tabline doesn't cause Vim to redraw the
                    > display. In this example you could check if the Tst_hl highlight was
                    > already set.

                    Actually, I must have a recurring highlight reset call in the tabline
                    function. It turns out that most anything that resets highlighting
                    for a window also clears the highlighting for the tabline, and the
                    tabline has no special trigger (i.e. filetype) to tell it to reset its
                    highlighting again. I don't see a good way to deal with this other
                    than to have a recurring highlighting call in the tabline function.

                    As a workaround, I've set a timer which will only allow a highlighting
                    reset inside the tabline function every 5 seconds. This works well
                    enough, but it does allow a window of failure.