Re: issues with taglist and minibuffer explorer

  • Eric Arnold
    Message 1 of 6 , May 1 8:36 AM
      If you're using Vim7, you might try my WinWalker.vim script. It will
      allow you to arrange the Taglist window where you want in relation to
      any other windows, and the "/" find function is more or less a
      buffer explorer.

      (I got another version to upload which sorts the buffer list a little
      better, but it's useable now.)

      On 5/1/06, James Vega <jamessan@...> wrote:
      > On Mon, May 01, 2006 at 06:45:24PM +0530, jagpreet wrote:
      > > Hi There,
      > >
      > > I'm using two most downloaded vim plugins MiniBufferExplorer(By bindu
      > > wavell) and taglist(By Yegappan Lakshmanan) for working on C++ files.
      > >
      > > When I open a file on a consol window, and use the Taglist plugin it works
      > > absolutely fine as documented. In the same consol window if I open another
      > > file with ":e <file2>" then it open the MiniBufferExplorer window as well
      > > and I can see the list of files present in the buffer.
      > > Also, the taglist plugin works absolutely well, i.e. giving the list of all
      > > the variables and functions befined in both the files.
      > > THE PROBLEM starts after I close either of the files with :q command.
      >
      > You should be using :bd to close the buffer. :q is used to close
      > windows. ":help windows-intro" gives a basic rundown of the differences
      > between buffers and windows.
      >
      > > [snip]
      > >
      > > Furthermore if I close(:q), either of the files and switch to another file
      > > by selecting it from the buffer window it opens the files in black and
      > > white("vi ") mode, like syntax off commend is given.
      >
      > This is a documented problem with MiniBufExpl and there is a variable
      > you can let to attempt to fix this. If you read the notes at the top of
      > MiniBufExpl.vim, you should find the information you need. You may find
      > bufexplorer.vim to be less intrusive and easier to use. That's what I
      > switched to after getting frustrated with MiniBufExpl.vim.
      >
      > HTH,
      >
      > James
      > --
      > GPG Key: 1024D/61326D40 2003-09-02 James Vega <jamessan@...>

    • Eric Arnold
      Message 2 of 6 , May 1 9:57 AM
        Also, with Vim7, you can use the tabline to get a lot of visual
        feedback about what buffers are loaded. TabLineSet.vim can list all
        loaded buffers per tab on on tabline.
      • Gerald Lai
        Message 3 of 6 , May 1 11:40 AM
          On Mon, 1 May 2006, James Vega wrote:

          > On Mon, May 01, 2006 at 06:45:24PM +0530, jagpreet wrote:
          [snip]
          >> Furthermore if I close(:q), either of the files and switch to another file
          >> by selecting it from the buffer window it opens the files in black and
          >> white("vi ") mode, like syntax off commend is given.
          >
          > This is a documented problem with MiniBufExpl and there is a variable
          > you can let to attempt to fix this. If you read the notes at the top of
          > MiniBufExpl.vim, you should find the information you need. You may find
          > bufexplorer.vim to be less intrusive and easier to use. That's what I
          > switched to after getting frustrated with MiniBufExpl.vim.

          I've made modifications to MiniBufExpl that dealt with this problem. I'm
          not sure if it would work for you, but you can try this:

          Find the lines

          autocmd MiniBufExplorer BufDelete * call <SID>DEBUG('-=> BufDelete AutoCmd', 10) |call <SID>AutoUpdate(expand('<abuf>'))
          autocmd MiniBufExplorer BufEnter * call <SID>DEBUG('-=> BufEnter AutoCmd', 10) |call <SID>AutoUpdate(-1)

          and change them to

          autocmd MiniBufExplorer BufDelete * call <SID>DEBUG('-=> BufDelete AutoCmd', 10) |call <SID>AutoUpdate(expand('<abuf>')) |filetype detect
          autocmd MiniBufExplorer BufWinEnter * call <SID>DEBUG('-=> BufWinEnter AutoCmd', 10) |call <SID>AutoUpdate(-1)

          HTH :)
          --
          Gerald
        • jagpreet
          Message 4 of 6 , May 2 1:40 AM
            On Mon, May 01, 2006 at 06:45:24PM +0530, jagpreet wrote:
            > Hi There,
            >
            > I'm using two most downloaded vim plugins MiniBufferExplorer(By bindu
            > wavell) and taglist(By Yegappan Lakshmanan) for working on C++ files.
            >
            > When I open a file on a consol window, and use the Taglist plugin it works
            > absolutely fine as documented. In the same consol window if I open another
            > file with ":e <file2>" then it open the MiniBufferExplorer window as well
            > and I can see the list of files present in the buffer.
            > Also, the taglist plugin works absolutely well, i.e. giving the list of
            all
            > the variables and functions befined in both the files.
            > THE PROBLEM starts after I close either of the files with :q command.

            You should be using :bd to close the buffer. :q is used to close
            windows. ":help windows-intro" gives a basic rundown of the differences
            between buffers and windows.

            > [snip]
            >
            > Furthermore if I close(:q), either of the files and switch to another file
            > by selecting it from the buffer window it opens the files in black and
            > white("vi ") mode, like syntax off commend is given.

            This is a documented problem with MiniBufExpl and there is a variable
            you can let to attempt to fix this. If you read the notes at the top of
            MiniBufExpl.vim, you should find the information you need. You may find
            bufexplorer.vim to be less intrusive and easier to use. That's what I
            switched to after getting frustrated with MiniBufExpl.vim.

            HTH,

            James
            --

            Thanks for reply,
            I downloaded Bufexplorer.vim and tried using it.

            Is there anything else I need to add in .vimrc regarding this plugin, though
            nothing as such is mentioned in the document.
            Also, when I open another file in the window with command ":e <file2>" it
            does open the file but buffer doesn't appear at all(this was happening in
            MiniBufferexplorer), I want the buffer to appear as soon as there is second
            file is opened in window.

            Regards,
            Jagpreet