Re: issues with taglist and minibuffer explorer

  • James Vega
    Message 1 of 6 , May 1, 2006
      On Mon, May 01, 2006 at 06:45:24PM +0530, jagpreet wrote:
      > Hi There,
      >
      > I'm using two most downloaded vim plugins MiniBufferExplorer(By bindu
      > wavell) and taglist(By Yegappan Lakshmanan) for working on C++ files.
      >
      > When I open a file on a consol window, and use the Taglist plugin it works
      > absolutely fine as documented. In the same consol window if I open another
      > file with ":e <file2>" then it open the MiniBufferExplorer window as well
      > and I can see the list of files present in the buffer.
      > Also, the taglist plugin works absolutely well, i.e. giving the list of all
      > the variables and functions befined in both the files.
      > THE PROBLEM starts after I close either of the files with :q command.

      You should be using :bd to close the buffer. :q is used to close
      windows. ":help windows-intro" gives a basic rundown of the differences
      between buffers and windows.

      > [snip]
      >
      > Furthermore if I close(:q), either of the files and switch to another file
      > by selecting it from the buffer window it opens the files in black and
      > white("vi ") mode, like syntax off commend is given.

      This is a documented problem with MiniBufExpl and there is a variable
      you can let to attempt to fix this. If you read the notes at the top of
      MiniBufExpl.vim, you should find the information you need. You may find
      bufexplorer.vim to be less intrusive and easier to use. That's what I
      switched to after getting frustrated with MiniBufExpl.vim.

      HTH,

      James
    • Eric Arnold
      Message 2 of 6 , May 1, 2006
        If you're using Vim7, you might try my WinWalker.vim script. It will
        allow you to arrange the Taglist window where you want in relation to
        any other windows, and the "/" find function is more or less a
        buffer explorer.

        (I got another version to upload which sorts the buffer list a little
        better, but it's useable now.)

        On 5/1/06, James Vega <jamessan@...> wrote:
        > On Mon, May 01, 2006 at 06:45:24PM +0530, jagpreet wrote:
        > > Hi There,
        > >
        > > I'm using two most downloaded vim plugins MiniBufferExplorer(By bindu
        > > wavell) and taglist(By Yegappan Lakshmanan) for working on C++ files.
        > >
        > > When I open a file on a consol window, and use the Taglist plugin it works
        > > absolutely fine as documented. In the same consol window if I open another
        > > file with ":e <file2>" then it open the MiniBufferExplorer window as well
        > > and I can see the list of files present in the buffer.
        > > Also, the taglist plugin works absolutely well, i.e. giving the list of all
        > > the variables and functions befined in both the files.
        > > THE PROBLEM starts after I close either of the files with :q command.
        >
        > You should be using :bd to close the buffer. :q is used to close
        > windows. ":help windows-intro" gives a basic rundown of the differences
        > between buffers and windows.
        >
        > > [snip]
        > >
        > > Furthermore if I close(:q), either of the files and switch to another file
        > > by selecting it from the buffer window it opens the files in black and
        > > white("vi ") mode, like syntax off commend is given.
        >
        > This is a documented problem with MiniBufExpl and there is a variable
        > you can let to attempt to fix this. If you read the notes at the top of
        > MiniBufExpl.vim, you should find the information you need. You may find
        > bufexplorer.vim to be less intrusive and easier to use. That's what I
        > switched to after getting frustrated with MiniBufExpl.vim.
        >
        > HTH,
        >
        > James
        > --
        > GPG Key: 1024D/61326D40 2003-09-02 James Vega <jamessan@...>

      • Eric Arnold
        Message 3 of 6 , May 1, 2006
          Also, with Vim7, you can use the tabline to get a lot of visual
          feedback about what buffers are loaded. TabLineSet.vim can list all
          loaded buffers per tab on on tabline.
        • Gerald Lai
          Message 4 of 6 , May 1, 2006
            On Mon, 1 May 2006, James Vega wrote:

            > On Mon, May 01, 2006 at 06:45:24PM +0530, jagpreet wrote:
            [snip]
            >> Furthermore if I close(:q), either of the files and switch to another file
            >> by selecting it from the buffer window it opens the files in black and
            >> white("vi ") mode, like syntax off commend is given.
            >
            > This is a documented problem with MiniBufExpl and there is a variable
            > you can let to attempt to fix this. If you read the notes at the top of
            > MiniBufExpl.vim, you should find the information you need. You may find
            > bufexplorer.vim to be less intrusive and easier to use. That's what I
            > switched to after getting frustrated with MiniBufExpl.vim.

            I've made modifications to MiniBufExpl that dealt with this problem. I'm
            not sure if it would work for you, but you can try this:

            Find the lines

            autocmd MiniBufExplorer BufDelete * call <SID>DEBUG('-=> BufDelete AutoCmd', 10) |call <SID>AutoUpdate(expand('<abuf>'))
            autocmd MiniBufExplorer BufEnter * call <SID>DEBUG('-=> BufEnter AutoCmd', 10) |call <SID>AutoUpdate(-1)

            and change them to

            autocmd MiniBufExplorer BufDelete * call <SID>DEBUG('-=> BufDelete AutoCmd', 10) |call <SID>AutoUpdate(expand('<abuf>')) |filetype detect
            autocmd MiniBufExplorer BufWinEnter * call <SID>DEBUG('-=> BufWinEnter AutoCmd', 10) |call <SID>AutoUpdate(-1)

            HTH :)
            --
            Gerald
          • jagpreet
            Message 5 of 6 , May 2, 2006
              On Mon, May 01, 2006 at 06:45:24PM +0530, jagpreet wrote:
              > Hi There,
              >
              > I'm using two most downloaded vim plugins MiniBufferExplorer(By bindu
              > wavell) and taglist(By Yegappan Lakshmanan) for working on C++ files.
              >
              > When I open a file on a consol window, and use the Taglist plugin it works
              > absolutely fine as documented. In the same consol window if I open another
              > file with ":e <file2>" then it open the MiniBufferExplorer window as well
              > and I can see the list of files present in the buffer.
              > Also, the taglist plugin works absolutely well, i.e. giving the list of
              all
              > the variables and functions befined in both the files.
              > THE PROBLEM starts after I close either of the files with :q command.

              You should be using :bd to close the buffer. :q is used to close
              windows. ":help windows-intro" gives a basic rundown of the differences
              between buffers and windows.

              > [snip]
              >
              > Furthermore if I close(:q), either of the files and switch to another file
              > by selecting it from the buffer window it opens the files in black and
              > white("vi ") mode, like syntax off commend is given.

              This is a documented problem with MiniBufExpl and there is a variable
              you can let to attempt to fix this. If you read the notes at the top of
              MiniBufExpl.vim, you should find the information you need. You may find
              bufexplorer.vim to be less intrusive and easier to use. That's what I
              switched to after getting frustrated with MiniBufExpl.vim.

              HTH,

              James
              --

              Thanks for reply,
              I downloaded Bufexplorer.vim and tried using it.

              Is there anything else I need to add in .vimrc regarding this plugin, though
              nothing as such is mentioned in the document.
              Also, when I open another file in the window with command ":e <file2>" it
              does open the file but buffer doesn't appear at all(this was happening in
              MiniBufferexplorer), I want the buffer to appear as soon as there is second
              file is opened in window.

              Regards,
              Jagpreet