issues with taglist and minibuffer explorer

  • jagpreet
    Message 1 of 6 , May 1, 2006
      Hi There,

      I'm using two most downloaded vim plugins MiniBufferExplorer(By bindu
      wavell) and taglist(By Yegappan Lakshmanan) for working on C++ files.

      When I open a file on a consol window, and use the Taglist plugin it works
      absolutely fine as documented. In the same consol window if I open another
      file with ":e <file2>" then it open the MiniBufferExplorer window as well
      and I can see the list of files present in the buffer.
      Also, the taglist plugin works absolutely well, i.e. giving the list of all
      the variables and functions befined in both the files.
      THE PROBLEM starts after I close either of the files with :q command. The
      MiniBuffer window still appears(with list of both the files present) and
      the view on window (left vertical portion with taglist of both the files and
      on the right half blank window, with buffer explorer window on the top. When
      I open the other file by clicking in the buffer explorer it opens the files
      only in 1-row space which is the width of buffer explorer.
      Another PROBLEM when I tried opening the other file which is still present
      in buffer explorer window it opens in the rest half of the window(which was
      blank earlier).

      Furthermore if I close(:q), either of the files and switch to another file
      by selecting it from the buffer window it opens the files in black and
      white("vi ") mode, like syntax off commend is given.

      Is there a problem in using both the plugins together. Is there something I
      need to add in .vimrc file to avoid and unexpected behavior.

      So far I find that the behavior of taglist plugin is absolutely with one
      exception, which is "
      If taglist window also open, and if I choose to switch to second file from
      MiniBuffer explorer it opens the file in the taglist window(which you get in
      Vsplit mode).
      However, I can still get the taglist window by the command, and it opens in
      another vsplit mode i.e. another third section in the same window.

      WHAT DO I NEED to follow to make sure that if I switch between the files I
      get the next file in the same window instead of the split mode.
    • James Vega
      Message 2 of 6 , May 1, 2006
        On Mon, May 01, 2006 at 06:45:24PM +0530, jagpreet wrote:
        > Hi There,
        >
        > I'm using two most downloaded vim plugins MiniBufferExplorer(By bindu
        > wavell) and taglist(By Yegappan Lakshmanan) for working on C++ files.
        >
        > When I open a file on a consol window, and use the Taglist plugin it works
        > absolutely fine as documented. In the same consol window if I open another
        > file with ":e <file2>" then it open the MiniBufferExplorer window as well
        > and I can see the list of files present in the buffer.
        > Also, the taglist plugin works absolutely well, i.e. giving the list of all
        > the variables and functions befined in both the files.
        > THE PROBLEM starts after I close either of the files with :q command.

        You should be using :bd to close the buffer. :q is used to close
        windows. ":help windows-intro" gives a basic rundown of the differences
        between buffers and windows.

        > [snip]
        >
        > Furthermore if I close(:q), either of the files and switch to another file
        > by selecting it from the buffer window it opens the files in black and
        > white("vi ") mode, like syntax off commend is given.

        This is a documented problem with MiniBufExpl and there is a variable
        you can let to attempt to fix this. If you read the notes at the top of
        MiniBufExpl.vim, you should find the information you need. You may find
        bufexplorer.vim to be less intrusive and easier to use. That's what I
        switched to after getting frustrated with MiniBufExpl.vim.

        HTH,

        James
      • Eric Arnold
        Message 3 of 6 , May 1, 2006
          If you're using Vim7, you might try my WinWalker.vim script. It will
          allow you to arrange the Taglist window where you want in relation to
          any other windows, and the "/" find function is more or less a
          buffer explorer.

          (I got another version to upload which sorts the buffer list a little
          better, but it's useable now.)

          On 5/1/06, James Vega <jamessan@...> wrote:
          > On Mon, May 01, 2006 at 06:45:24PM +0530, jagpreet wrote:
          > > Hi There,
          > >
          > > I'm using two most downloaded vim plugins MiniBufferExplorer(By bindu
          > > wavell) and taglist(By Yegappan Lakshmanan) for working on C++ files.
          > >
          > > When I open a file on a consol window, and use the Taglist plugin it works
          > > absolutely fine as documented. In the same consol window if I open another
          > > file with ":e <file2>" then it open the MiniBufferExplorer window as well
          > > and I can see the list of files present in the buffer.
          > > Also, the taglist plugin works absolutely well, i.e. giving the list of all
          > > the variables and functions befined in both the files.
          > > THE PROBLEM starts after I close either of the files with :q command.
          >
          > You should be using :bd to close the buffer. :q is used to close
          > windows. ":help windows-intro" gives a basic rundown of the differences
          > between buffers and windows.
          >
          > > [snip]
          > >
          > > Furthermore if I close(:q), either of the files and switch to another file
          > > by selecting it from the buffer window it opens the files in black and
          > > white("vi ") mode, like syntax off commend is given.
          >
          > This is a documented problem with MiniBufExpl and there is a variable
          > you can let to attempt to fix this. If you read the notes at the top of
          > MiniBufExpl.vim, you should find the information you need. You may find
          > bufexplorer.vim to be less intrusive and easier to use. That's what I
          > switched to after getting frustrated with MiniBufExpl.vim.
          >
          > HTH,
          >
          > James
          > --
          > GPG Key: 1024D/61326D40 2003-09-02 James Vega <jamessan@...>

        • Eric Arnold
          Message 4 of 6 , May 1, 2006
            Also, with Vim7, you can use the tabline to get a lot of visual
            feedback about what buffers are loaded. TabLineSet.vim can list all
            loaded buffers per tab on on tabline.
          • Gerald Lai
            Message 5 of 6 , May 1, 2006
              On Mon, 1 May 2006, James Vega wrote:

              > On Mon, May 01, 2006 at 06:45:24PM +0530, jagpreet wrote:
              [snip]
              >> Furthermore if I close(:q), either of the files and switch to another file
              >> by selecting it from the buffer window it opens the files in black and
              >> white("vi ") mode, like syntax off commend is given.
              >
              > This is a documented problem with MiniBufExpl and there is a variable
              > you can let to attempt to fix this. If you read the notes at the top of
              > MiniBufExpl.vim, you should find the information you need. You may find
              > bufexplorer.vim to be less intrusive and easier to use. That's what I
              > switched to after getting frustrated with MiniBufExpl.vim.

              I've made modifications to MiniBufExpl that dealt with this problem. I'm
              not sure if it would work for you, but you can try this:

              Find the lines

              autocmd MiniBufExplorer BufDelete * call <SID>DEBUG('-=> BufDelete AutoCmd', 10) |call <SID>AutoUpdate(expand('<abuf>'))
              autocmd MiniBufExplorer BufEnter * call <SID>DEBUG('-=> BufEnter AutoCmd', 10) |call <SID>AutoUpdate(-1)

              and change them to

              autocmd MiniBufExplorer BufDelete * call <SID>DEBUG('-=> BufDelete AutoCmd', 10) |call <SID>AutoUpdate(expand('<abuf>')) |filetype detect
              autocmd MiniBufExplorer BufWinEnter * call <SID>DEBUG('-=> BufWinEnter AutoCmd', 10) |call <SID>AutoUpdate(-1)

              HTH :)
              --
              Gerald
            • jagpreet
              Message 6 of 6 , May 2, 2006
                On Mon, May 01, 2006 at 06:45:24PM +0530, jagpreet wrote:
                > Hi There,
                >
                > I'm using two most downloaded vim plugins MiniBufferExplorer(By bindu
                > wavell) and taglist(By Yegappan Lakshmanan) for working on C++ files.
                >
                > When I open a file on a consol window, and use the Taglist plugin it works
                > absolutely fine as documented. In the same consol window if I open another
                > file with ":e <file2>" then it open the MiniBufferExplorer window as well
                > and I can see the list of files present in the buffer.
                > Also, the taglist plugin works absolutely well, i.e. giving the list of
                all
                > the variables and functions befined in both the files.
                > THE PROBLEM starts after I close either of the files with :q command.

                You should be using :bd to close the buffer. :q is used to close
                windows. ":help windows-intro" gives a basic rundown of the differences
                between buffers and windows.

                > [snip]
                >
                > Furthermore if I close(:q), either of the files and switch to another file
                > by selecting it from the buffer window it opens the files in black and
                > white("vi ") mode, like syntax off commend is given.

                This is a documented problem with MiniBufExpl and there is a variable
                you can let to attempt to fix this. If you read the notes at the top of
                MiniBufExpl.vim, you should find the information you need. You may find
                bufexplorer.vim to be less intrusive and easier to use. That's what I
                switched to after getting frustrated with MiniBufExpl.vim.

                HTH,

                James
                --

                Thanks for reply,
                I downloaded Bufexplorer.vim and tried using it.

                Is there anything else I need to add in .vimrc regarding this plugin, though
                nothing as such is mentioned in the document.
                Also, when I open another file in the window with command ":e <file2>" it
                does open the file but buffer doesn't appear at all(this was happening in
                MiniBufferexplorer), I want the buffer to appear as soon as there is second
                file is opened in window.

                Regards,
                Jagpreet