Re: Text wrapping / reflowing - two questions.

  • Eric Arnold
    Message 1 of 11 , May 1 1:31 AM
      On 5/1/06, Gary Johnson <garyjohn@...> wrote:
      > On 2006-05-01, Eric Arnold <eric.p.arnold@...> wrote:

      > > > :help redir
      > > >
      > > > Example:
      > > >
      > > > :redir @a
      > >
      > > I think you need :redir @a> or is there some kinda shortcut?
      >
      > The '>' at the end is new for 7.0. I don't know why it was added.
      > The original syntax didn't have the '>' and 7.0 accepts either.

      How about that. I've been using the beta long enough to forget how
      the released version works.
    • Yegappan Lakshmanan
      Message 2 of 11 , May 1 9:42 AM
        Hi,

        > > > :help redir
        > > >
        > > > Example:
        > > >
        > > > :redir @a
        > >
        > > I think you need :redir @a> or is there some kinda shortcut?
        >
        > The '>' at the end is new for 7.0. I don't know why it was added.
        > The original syntax didn't have the '>' and 7.0 accepts either.

        As explained in the help for ":redir ", for backward compatibility,
        the > after the register name can be omitted:

        :redi[r] @{a-zA-Z}> Redirect messages to register {a-z}. Append to the
        contents of the register if its name is given
        uppercase {A-Z}. For backward compatibility, the ">"
        after the register name can be omitted. {not in Vi}

        In Vim7, you can append the command output to a register (lower-case
        register name) using the following command:

        :redir @{a-z}>>

        You can also redirect output to a variable using:

        :redir => {variable}
        :redir =>> {variable}

        - Yegappan