Re: Text wrapping / reflowing - two questions.

  • Gary Johnson
    Message 1 of 11 , May 1, 2006
      On 2006-05-01, Eric Arnold <eric.p.arnold@...> wrote:
      > On 5/1/06, Gary Johnson <garyjohn@...> wrote:
      > > On 2006-05-01, cga2000 <cga2000@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > > btw, is there any way I can direct vim to write the output of a query
      > > > such as ':set' or ':ve' directly to the buffer? That would come in
      > > > handy when someone asks me for more info as to how my system is
      > > > configured.
      > >
      > > :help redir
      > >
      > > Example:
      > >
      > > :redir @a
      >
      > I think you need :redir @a> or is there some kinda shortcut?

      The '>' at the end is new for 7.0. I don't know why it was added.
      The original syntax didn't have the '>' and 7.0 accepts either.

      Gary

      --
      Gary Johnson | Agilent Technologies
      garyjohn@... | Wireless Division
      | Spokane, Washington, USA
    • Eric Arnold
      Message 2 of 11 , May 1, 2006
        On 5/1/06, Gary Johnson <garyjohn@...> wrote:
        > On 2006-05-01, Eric Arnold <eric.p.arnold@...> wrote:

        > > > :help redir
        > > >
        > > > Example:
        > > >
        > > > :redir @a
        > >
        > > I think you need :redir @a> or is there some kinda shortcut?
        >
        > The '>' at the end is new for 7.0. I don't know why it was added.
        > The original syntax didn't have the '>' and 7.0 accepts either.

        How about that. I've been using the beta long enough to forget how
        the released version works.
      • Yegappan Lakshmanan
        Message 3 of 11 , May 1, 2006

          > > > :help redir
          > > >
          > > > Example:
          > > >
          > > > :redir @a
          > >
          > > I think you need :redir @a> or is there some kinda shortcut?
          >
          > The '>' at the end is new for 7.0. I don't know why it was added.
          > The original syntax didn't have the '>' and 7.0 accepts either.

          As explained in the help for ":redir ", for backward compatibility,
          the > after the register name can be omitted:

          :redi[r] @{a-zA-Z}> Redirect messages to register {a-z}. Append to the
          contents of the register if its name is given
          uppercase {A-Z}. For backward compatibility, the ">"
          after the register name can be omitted. {not in Vi}

          In Vim7, you can append the command output to a register (lower-case
          register name) using the following command:

          :redir @{a-z}>>

          You can also redirect output to a variable using:

          :redir => {variable}
          :redir =>> {variable}

          - Yegappan