Re: Text wrapping / reflowing - two questions.

  • Eric Arnold
    Message 1 of 11 , May 1, 2006
      On 5/1/06, cga2000 <cga2000@...> wrote:
      > Thus spake Eric Arnold on Mon, May 01, 2006 at 12:19:41AM -0600 or thereabouts: <eric.p.arnold@...> [2006-05-01 02:38]:
      > > Do you have these set?
      > >
      > > setlocal formatoptions+=bcroqan2t " better without w

      Actually, you should look at the above options, and see if you want
      all of them. These are what I use for when I'm writing text (instead
      of code).

      > > setlocal linebreak
      > >

      > Not that I know of.
      >
      > I tried:
      >
      > :set ?formatoptions
      > :set ?formatoptions+
      > :setlocal ?formatoptions .. etc.

      set formatoptions?
      set fo?

      You've got a dyslexic "?" :-)

      > and vim didn't seem to like it..
      >
      > I then did a
      >
      > :set
      >
      > and formatoptions is apparently set to:
      >
      > formatoptions=tcql
      >
      > .. looks very different from what you have above?

      Right. See:

      :help fo-table

      which describes that each of the letters means. Pay particular
      attention to "a" and "w". I got tired of "w", so I stopped using it,
      but you might want it.

      > I'll look into it further later today since it's really getting late.
      >
      > btw, is there any way I can direct vim to write the output of a query
      > such as ':set' or ':ve' directly to the buffer? That would come in
      > handy when someone asks me for more info as to how my system is
      > configured.

      :redir @a>

      do stuff, and when done

      :redir end

      Then you have everything in register "a", and can paste it where ever.

      I'm working on a script right now which automatically transfers
      everything to a regular buffer window. I haven't released it yet. If
      you're interested, I can send it.
    • Eric Arnold
      Message 2 of 11 , May 1, 2006

        I think you need :redir @a> or is there some kinda shortcut?

        > :set
        > :redir END
        >
        > and paste register a where you want it.
        >
        > Gary
        >
        > --
        > Gary Johnson | Agilent Technologies
        > garyjohn@... | Wireless Division
        > | Spokane, Washington, USA

      • Gary Johnson
        Message 3 of 11 , May 1, 2006
          On 2006-05-01, Eric Arnold <eric.p.arnold@...> wrote:
          > On 5/1/06, Gary Johnson <garyjohn@...> wrote:
          > > On 2006-05-01, cga2000 <cga2000@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > > btw, is there any way I can direct vim to write the output of a query
          > > > such as ':set' or ':ve' directly to the buffer? That would come in
          > > > handy when someone asks me for more info as to how my system is
          > > > configured.
          > >
          > > :help redir
          > >
          > > Example:
          > >
          > > :redir @a
          >
          > I think you need :redir @a> or is there some kinda shortcut?

          The '>' at the end is new for 7.0. I don't know why it was added.
          The original syntax didn't have the '>' and 7.0 accepts either.

          Gary

          --
          Gary Johnson | Agilent Technologies
          garyjohn@... | Wireless Division
          | Spokane, Washington, USA
        • Eric Arnold
          Message 4 of 11 , May 1, 2006
            On 5/1/06, Gary Johnson <garyjohn@...> wrote:
            > On 2006-05-01, Eric Arnold <eric.p.arnold@...> wrote:

            > > > :help redir
            > > >
            > > > Example:
            > > >
            > > > :redir @a
            > >
            > > I think you need :redir @a> or is there some kinda shortcut?
            >
            > The '>' at the end is new for 7.0. I don't know why it was added.
            > The original syntax didn't have the '>' and 7.0 accepts either.

            How about that. I've been using the beta long enough to forget how
            the released version works.
          • Yegappan Lakshmanan
            Message 5 of 11 , May 1, 2006

              > > > :help redir
              > > >
              > > > Example:
              > > >
              > > > :redir @a
              > >
              > > I think you need :redir @a> or is there some kinda shortcut?
              >
              > The '>' at the end is new for 7.0. I don't know why it was added.
              > The original syntax didn't have the '>' and 7.0 accepts either.

              As explained in the help for ":redir ", for backward compatibility,
              the > after the register name can be omitted:

              :redi[r] @{a-zA-Z}> Redirect messages to register {a-z}. Append to the
              contents of the register if its name is given
              uppercase {A-Z}. For backward compatibility, the ">"
              after the register name can be omitted. {not in Vi}

              In Vim7, you can append the command output to a register (lower-case
              register name) using the following command:

              :redir @{a-z}>>

              You can also redirect output to a variable using:

              :redir => {variable}
              :redir =>> {variable}

              - Yegappan