Re: Text wrapping / reflowing - two questions.

  • Gary Johnson
    Message 1 of 11 , May 1 12:06 AM
      On 2006-05-01, cga2000 <cga2000@...> wrote:

      > btw, is there any way I can direct vim to write the output of a query
      > such as ':set' or ':ve' directly to the buffer? That would come in
      > handy when someone asks me for more info as to how my system is
      > configured.

      :help redir

      Example:

      :redir @a
      :set
      :redir END

      and paste register a where you want it.

      Gary

      --
      Gary Johnson | Agilent Technologies
      garyjohn@... | Wireless Division
      | Spokane, Washington, USA
    • Eric Arnold
      Message 2 of 11 , May 1 12:13 AM
        On 5/1/06, cga2000 <cga2000@...> wrote:
        > Thus spake Eric Arnold on Mon, May 01, 2006 at 12:19:41AM -0600 or thereabouts: <eric.p.arnold@...> [2006-05-01 02:38]:
        > > Do you have these set?
        > >
        > > setlocal formatoptions+=bcroqan2t " better without w

        Actually, you should look at the above options, and see if you want
        all of them. These are what I use for when I'm writing text (instead
        of code).

        > > setlocal linebreak
        > >

        > Not that I know of.
        >
        > I tried:
        >
        > :set ?formatoptions
        > :set ?formatoptions+
        > :setlocal ?formatoptions .. etc.

        set formatoptions?
        set fo?

        You've got a dyslexic "?" :-)

        > and vim didn't seem to like it..
        >
        > I then did a
        >
        > :set
        >
        > and formatoptions is apparently set to:
        >
        > formatoptions=tcql
        >
        > .. looks very different from what you have above?

        Right. See:

        :help fo-table

        which describes that each of the letters means. Pay particular
        attention to "a" and "w". I got tired of "w", so I stopped using it,
        but you might want it.

        > I'll look into it further later today since it's really getting late.
        >
        > btw, is there any way I can direct vim to write the output of a query
        > such as ':set' or ':ve' directly to the buffer? That would come in
        > handy when someone asks me for more info as to how my system is
        > configured.

        :redir @a>

        do stuff, and when done

        :redir end

        Then you have everything in register "a", and can paste it where ever.

        I'm working on a script right now which automatically transfers
        everything to a regular buffer window. I haven't released it yet. If
        you're interested, I can send it.
      • Eric Arnold
        Message 3 of 11 , May 1 12:15 AM

          I think you need :redir @a> or is there some kinda shortcut?

          > :set
          > :redir END
          >
          > and paste register a where you want it.
          >
          > Gary
          >
          > --
          > Gary Johnson | Agilent Technologies
          > garyjohn@... | Wireless Division
          > | Spokane, Washington, USA

        • Gary Johnson
          Message 4 of 11 , May 1 1:13 AM
            On 2006-05-01, Eric Arnold <eric.p.arnold@...> wrote:
            > On 5/1/06, Gary Johnson <garyjohn@...> wrote:
            > > On 2006-05-01, cga2000 <cga2000@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > > btw, is there any way I can direct vim to write the output of a query
            > > > such as ':set' or ':ve' directly to the buffer? That would come in
            > > > handy when someone asks me for more info as to how my system is
            > > > configured.
            > >
            > > :help redir
            > >
            > > Example:
            > >
            > > :redir @a
            >
            > I think you need :redir @a> or is there some kinda shortcut?

            The '>' at the end is new for 7.0. I don't know why it was added.
            The original syntax didn't have the '>' and 7.0 accepts either.

            Gary

            --
            Gary Johnson | Agilent Technologies
            garyjohn@... | Wireless Division
            | Spokane, Washington, USA
          • Eric Arnold
            Message 5 of 11 , May 1 1:31 AM
              On 5/1/06, Gary Johnson <garyjohn@...> wrote:
              > On 2006-05-01, Eric Arnold <eric.p.arnold@...> wrote:

              > > > :help redir
              > > >
              > > > Example:
              > > >
              > > > :redir @a
              > >
              > > I think you need :redir @a> or is there some kinda shortcut?
              >
              > The '>' at the end is new for 7.0. I don't know why it was added.
              > The original syntax didn't have the '>' and 7.0 accepts either.

              How about that. I've been using the beta long enough to forget how
              the released version works.
            • Yegappan Lakshmanan
              Message 6 of 11 , May 1 9:42 AM

                > > > :help redir
                > > >
                > > > Example:
                > > >
                > > > :redir @a
                > >
                > > I think you need :redir @a> or is there some kinda shortcut?
                >
                > The '>' at the end is new for 7.0. I don't know why it was added.
                > The original syntax didn't have the '>' and 7.0 accepts either.

                As explained in the help for ":redir ", for backward compatibility,
                the > after the register name can be omitted:

                :redi[r] @{a-zA-Z}> Redirect messages to register {a-z}. Append to the
                contents of the register if its name is given
                uppercase {A-Z}. For backward compatibility, the ">"
                after the register name can be omitted. {not in Vi}

                In Vim7, you can append the command output to a register (lower-case
                register name) using the following command:

                :redir @{a-z}>>

                You can also redirect output to a variable using:

                :redir => {variable}
                :redir =>> {variable}

                - Yegappan