redir to a buffer?

  • Eric Arnold
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 1 2:37 AM
      There seems to be a way to "redir" something to all sorts of places but not
      into a buffer. Am I missing something? Almost always all I want to do is suck
      command/message window stuff into a buffer and edit it. I know it's not that
      hard to use it via the registers, but still....
    • Yakov Lerner
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 1 3:40 AM
        On 4/1/06, Eric Arnold <eric_p_arnold@...> wrote:

        > There seems to be a way to "redir" something to all sorts of places but not
        > into a buffer. Am I missing something? Almost always all I want to do is suck
        > command/message window stuff into a buffer and edit it. I know it's not that
        > hard to use it via the registers, but still....

        "ViewOutput : scroll back and search [long] output of vim command"

        Yakov
      • Yegappan Lakshmanan
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 1 8:05 AM

          > On 4/1/06, Eric Arnold <eric_p_arnold@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > There seems to be a way to "redir" something to all sorts of places but not
          > > into a buffer. Am I missing something? Almost always all I want to do is suck
          > > command/message window stuff into a buffer and edit it. I know it's not that
          > > hard to use it via the registers, but still....

          > "ViewOutput : scroll back and search [long] output of vim command"

          In Vim7, you can scroll back and forth the output of a command at
          the more prompt using the following commands:

          u - scroll back a page
          d - scroll down a page
          b - back a screen
          <Space> - down a screen
          g - Go to the beginning of the output
          G - Go to the end of the output

          The normal mode command "g<" displays the last page of the
          previous command output.

          - Yegappan