Re: Ctrl-A suddenly doesn't mean select all (gVim Win)

  • Georg Dahn
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 31, 2006
      Hi!

      > Happily editing along in gVim 6.4 today and.... suddenly I discover
      > that the key sequence ctrl-a, which I've long used for select-all, no
      > longer seems to in fact select-all.

      Ctrl-A selects all if you have sourced mswin.vim to have the usual
      Windows short cuts like Ctrl-X, Ctrl-C, Ctrl-V, Ctrl-A ... available.

      > In fact, if the cursor is located on a number when I press ctrl-a, it
      > now seems to increment that number.

      This is the 'normal' behavior of Vim if you don't source mswin.vim.

      Do

      :h mswin.vim

      to see, what this script does and what is changed.

      > Any idea what I might have accidentally changed to invoke this shift
      > in behavior, and/or what I can do to get the original behavior back?

      Maybe you don't have the line

      source $VIMRUNTIME/mswin.vim

      in your vimrc anymore. Have you edited vimrc recently?

      Best wishes,
      Georg

    • weston@leary.csoft.net
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 6, 2006
        > Maybe you don't have the line
        >
        > source $VIMRUNTIME/mswin.vim
        >
        > in your vimrc anymore. Have you edited vimrc recently?

        Sortof. By which I mean, yes, drastically. :) I didn't actually edit the existing vimrc, I just changed $HOME, which meant it was using entirely different rc files...

        And sure enough, you were exactly right. Adding a line to source mswin.vim fixes the trouble. Thank you very much!

        -Weston
      • Tim Chase
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 6, 2006
          > Adding a line to source mswin.vim fixes the trouble.

          Truely rare words on this list... :)

          -tim