Re: Getting Vim to use an existing window

  • Eric Arnold
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 31, 2006
      I suspect that vim/gvim doesn't know how to do this. However, if you're in a
      Xwindows type environment, you can set $DISPLAY back to your machine, and the
      gvim running on the remote machine will display on your screen. I know this
      isn't exactly what you want, but it's something.

      Another idea is to invoke gvim on the remote machine, and supplying the
      information to your local gvim about how to get to the remote file. Try
      :h netrw
      I don't have a way to test it, but it might be something like:

      ssh your_local_machine gvim --remote ftp://other_machine_name/path/file

      As far as I can tell, there is no Vim "client", i.e. a Vim that starts as a
      background process, and communicates with a GUI/etc window. However, the docs
      say that the communication goes through the X11 messaging, so it seems
      reasonable that the "servername" might include syntax to include the IP address
      or machine name.