RE: Directory tree expected by install.exe

  • Stahlman, Brett
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 30, 2006

      Suresh,
      I've pasted my "semi-random" notes on the issues I encountered
      at the end of the email if you're interested. I think the 2 main changes
      that were required were as follows:

      *** Issue 1 ***
      VIM_VERSION_NODOT should match what comes after "vim" in the installdir
      name. (Note: it doesn't because VIM_VERSION_NODOT is "vim70aa", but dir
      is vim7_0181.)

      *** Issue 2 ***
      When building and installing from sources, it is necessary to move the
      exes from src/ up one level into the installdir ($VIMRUNTIME) to avoid
      error because install program expects to be run from this directory.

      Hope it helps...

      Brett Stahlman

      > (My vimfiles is in c:\opt\vim, and manually
      > installing by moving vim70c into c:\opt\vim and moving
      > c:\opt\vim\70c\src\gvim.exe to c:\opt\vim\vim70c\ seems to work)
      >
      > --Suresh

      ****Notes on the install program dosinst.c, dosinst.h, feature.h

      Note: runtimeidx is an index pointing to the start of the installdir
      (e.g., the "vim70aa" part)
      do_inits is called to initialize various things
      -my_fullpath called to get the full pathname of the install.exe
      prog.
      -remove_tail called to remove install.exe from the end...
      -Change current dir to installdir (e.g., C:\Program
      Files\vim\vim70aa).
      -check_unpack checks for correct version number in installdir:
      VIM_VERSION_NODOT should match what comes after "vim" in the installdir
      name. (Note: it doesn't because VIM_VERSION_NODOT is "vim70aa", but dir
      is vim7_0181. TODO - Change this.
      -uninstall_check is run to check registry for existing Vim installed,
      and will ask user if he wants to uninstall.
      -inspect_system lookes for $VIM env var, which it expects to be the same
      as installdir - VIM_VERSION_NODOT (e.g., C:\Program Files\vim or
      C:\myvim).
      Then it looks for $VIMRUNTIME, which it expects to be the same as
      installdir (e.g., C:\Program Files\vim\vim70aa
      NOTE: When building and installing from sources, install.exe, it is
      necessary to move the exes from src/ up one level into the installdir
      ($VIMRUNTIME) to avoid error...
      Then it calls find_bat_exe to check for a Vim .exe or .bat in the path.
      (Warns user if it finds one, since you should probably delete...)
      Then it calls find_bat_exe to look for any of a list of exe's and/or
      .bat's in path. IMPORTANT NOTE: It cd's to C:\ in attempt to avoid
      finding .exe's in the installdir (current dir); however, this doesn't
      work on my system, where '.\' is in path! i.e., it finds the one that's
      about to be installed. TODO - Propose Fix - Note, however, that problem
      is not serious, because you just get a warning...
      Then it checks for a _vimrc in installdir - VIM_VERSION_NODOT (e.g.,
      C:\Program Files\vim). If one is found, it will be saved as oldvimrc.