intel macs

  • Dominic Evans
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 29, 2006
      Just got my macbook pro this morning and immediately reached for my vim7 :)

      Just to let you know about a minor bug with the configure.in autoconf script

      --with-mac-arch=intel

      is broken for me (with latest cvs) it fails to identify a suitable
      terminal library and exits with
      You need to install a terminal library; for example ncurses.
      Or specify the name of the library with --with-tlib.])

      --with-mac-arch=both correctly builds a (universal) binary that runs on intel

      This should be a minor fix. Also the automatic detection failed to
      realise my machine was an Intel one and by default tried to compile
      with just -arch ppc.

      Incidentally, you currently perform the s/-O2/-Oz/ optimisation fix
      only on Intel / Both builds but infact you should always do it when
      GCC version >= 4

      Well done with the Google Zurich position.

      Best regards,
      Dominic
    • Bram Moolenaar
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 29, 2006
        Dominic Evans wrote:

        > Just got my macbook pro this morning and immediately reached for my vim7 :)
        >
        > Just to let you know about a minor bug with the configure.in autoconf script
        >
        > --with-mac-arch=intel
        >
        > is broken for me (with latest cvs) it fails to identify a suitable
        > terminal library and exits with
        > You need to install a terminal library; for example ncurses.
        > Or specify the name of the library with --with-tlib.])
        >
        > --with-mac-arch=both correctly builds a (universal) binary that runs on intel

        Strange that "intel" doesn't work then. Did you try without any
        argument? The default now is to build for the current architecture,
        thus on your system it should build an Intel binary, but does that
        without any extra compiler arguments.

        > This should be a minor fix. Also the automatic detection failed to
        > realise my machine was an Intel one and by default tried to compile
        > with just -arch ppc.

        That used to be the fallback. But it was never tested. I can't do this
        either, thus I hope someone can tell us what changes are required.

        Hmm, it seems that -arch ppc is added when no architecture is specified,
        I'll change that.

        > Incidentally, you currently perform the s/-O2/-Oz/ optimisation fix
        > only on Intel / Both builds but infact you should always do it when
        > GCC version >= 4

        I'm not sure it is required at all, because there is a check much
        earlier for GCC 4.0. As least that's what is triggered on my ppc 10.4
        machine.

        --
        FATHER: We are here today to witness the union of two young people in the
        joyful bond of the holy wedlock. Unfortunately, one of them, my son

      • Dominic Evans
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 31, 2006
          > > --with-mac-arch=intel
          > >
          > > is broken for me (with latest cvs) it fails to identify a suitable
          > > terminal library and exits with
          > > You need to install a terminal library; for example ncurses.
          > > Or specify the name of the library with --with-tlib.])
          > >
          > > --with-mac-arch=both correctly builds a (universal) binary that runs on intel
          >
          > Strange that "intel" doesn't work then. Did you try without any
          > argument? The default now is to build for the current architecture,
          > thus on your system it should build an Intel binary, but does that
          > without any extra compiler arguments.

          Yes without argument it fails to detect Intel and just goes for PPC compilation.
        • Bram Moolenaar
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 1, 2006
            Dominic Evans wrote:

            > > > --with-mac-arch=intel
            > > >
            > > > is broken for me (with latest cvs) it fails to identify a suitable
            > > > terminal library and exits with
            > > > You need to install a terminal library; for example ncurses.
            > > > Or specify the name of the library with --with-tlib.])
            > > >
            > > > --with-mac-arch=both correctly builds a (universal) binary that
            > > > runs on intel
            > >
            > > Strange that "intel" doesn't work then. Did you try without any
            > > argument? The default now is to build for the current architecture,
            > > thus on your system it should build an Intel binary, but does that
            > > without any extra compiler arguments.
            >
            > Yes without argument it fails to detect Intel and just goes for PPC
            > compilation.

            If you are using a slightly older version, the configure script
            accidentally used "-arch ppc" instead of leaving out the -arch argument.
            I fixed that, but now CVS doesn't work thus I can't checkin a new
            version.

            --
            "I love deadlines. I especially like the whooshing sound they
            make as they go flying by."