Re: Vim7 for OSX

  • Bram Moolenaar
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 1, 2006
      Alan Schmitt wrote:

      > > The problem with -O2 is defenitely a bug in the gcc 4.0 optimizer. I
      > > stepped through the code and can see that two pieces of source code
      > > were
      > > executed in the wrong order, causing memory that was already freed
      > > to be
      > > used. Configure now automatically changes -O2 to -Oz to avoid this.
      > > But if you set CFLAGS manually it may still break.
      >
      > Is this related to the bug I mentioned a few days ago? I built Vim on
      > X.4.4 with -O2 and -g, and here is the backtrace I got from the
      > segfault:
      >
      > (gdb) bt
      > #0 0xffff8a54 in ___memcpy () at /System/Library/Frameworks/
      > System.framework/PrivateHeaders/ppc/cpu_capabilities.h:189
      > #1 0x00047508 in repl_cmdline (eap=0xbfffe790, src=0x1804e00 "/Users/
      > schmitta/src/vim7_aap/vim7/runtime/syntax/syntax.vim",
      > srclen=7055088, repl=0x18011e "\221?", cmdlinep=0xbfffe898) at
      > ex_docmd.c:4411
      > #2 0x0004bb58 in expand_filename (eap=0xbfffe790,
      > cmdlinep=0xbfffe898, errormsgp=0xbfffe74c) at ex_docmd.c:4269

      Yep, the problem appears in expand_filename().

      > What is the recommended way of building Vim on Mac (i.e. how can I
      > specify cleanly to not use -O2?)

      With the current snapshot it's a matter of running "make". Configure
      should figure out everything, as it's supposed to do. You only need to
      avoid that CFLAGS is overruled somehow.

      4. Put your garbage can on your desk and label it "in".

    • Jeremy Conlin
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 2, 2006

        > Yep, the problem appears in expand_filename().
        >
        > > What is the recommended way of building Vim on Mac (i.e. how can I
        > > specify cleanly to not use -O2?)
        >
        > With the current snapshot it's a matter of running "make". Configure
        > should figure out everything, as it's supposed to do. You only need to
        > avoid that CFLAGS is overruled somehow.

        I have successfully compiled Vim on my new MacBook. However it fails
        when compiled via aap, but works well if I just do it manually after
        downloading the latest snapshot. Why are these two processes
        different? Shouldn't aap do the same thing as

        ./configure
        make
        sudo make install

        ?

        Thanks,
        Jeremy
      • Bram Moolenaar
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 2, 2006
          Jeremy Conlin wrote:

          > > Yep, the problem appears in expand_filename().
          > >
          > > > What is the recommended way of building Vim on Mac (i.e. how can I
          > > > specify cleanly to not use -O2?)
          > >
          > > With the current snapshot it's a matter of running "make". Configure
          > > should figure out everything, as it's supposed to do. You only need to
          > > avoid that CFLAGS is overruled somehow.
          > >
          > I have successfully compiled Vim on my new MacBook. However it fails
          > when compiled via aap, but works well if I just do it manually after
          > downloading the latest snapshot. Why are these two processes
          > different? Shouldn't aap do the same thing as
          >
          > ./configure
          > make
          > sudo make install
          >
          > ?

          The Aap recipe lags behind the Makefile a bit. The part to fill Vim.app
          is missing. You need to use Makefile for that.

          --
          Now it is such a bizarrely improbable coincidence that anything as
          mind-bogglingly useful as the Babel fish could have evolved purely by chance