Re: Filetype detect for *.tex

  • Christian Ebert
    Message 1 of 16 , Mar 1, 2006
      * Benji Fisher on Wednesday, March 01, 2006 at 10:54:00 -0500:
      > Charles Campbell maintains the (la)tex syntax file. When I asked
      > him (a long time ago) about also supporting plain tex with the same
      > file, he did not like the idea. Currently, plain tex is not well
      > supported. This is not much of a problem, since most people use LaTeX
      > (I think).

      What I am missing are some customizations to support writing .dtx
      files. -- At least a search on vim.org didn't turn up any
      promising results (please correct me if I'm wrong). This would be
      a huge relief for lazy package writers like me.

      _B A U S T E L L E N_ lesen! --->> <http://www.blacktrash.org/baustellen.html>
    • Gerald Lai
      Message 2 of 16 , Mar 1, 2006
        On Wed, 1 Mar 2006, Benji Fisher wrote:
        [snip]
        > Is there any way to catch a match at the very start of the file with
        > search(), analogous to
        >
        > :0/<pat>/

        :0/<pat>/ places the cursor at the start of the line of the first
        occurence of <pat> from the beginning of the file. This is the same as:

        :call search('\%^\_.\{-}\zs.*<pat>')

        To place the cursor at the beginning of the search occurence, remove
        ".*":

        :call search('\%^\_.\{-}\zs<pat>')

        The anchors for start and end-of-file are \%^ and \%$, respectively :)
        --
        Gerald
      • Benji Fisher
        Message 3 of 16 , Mar 1, 2006
          On Wed, Mar 01, 2006 at 10:54:54AM -0800, Gerald Lai wrote:
          > On Wed, 1 Mar 2006, Benji Fisher wrote:
          > [snip]
          > >Is there any way to catch a match at the very start of the file with
          > >search(), analogous to
          > >
          > >:0/<pat>/
          >
          > :0/<pat>/ places the cursor at the start of the line of the first
          > occurence of <pat> from the beginning of the file. This is the same as:
          >
          > :call search('\%^\_.\{-}\zs.*<pat>')
          >
          > To place the cursor at the beginning of the search occurence, remove
          > ".*":
          >
          > :call search('\%^\_.\{-}\zs<pat>')
          >
          > The anchors for start and end-of-file are \%^ and \%$, respectively :)
          > --
          > Gerald

          Thanks, that works. Still, I wonder whether this might be slower
          than :0/<pat> . Maybe, before we get too used to the new stopline
          parameter to search() and related functions, we should ask Bram to add a
          startline parameter before it (both optional, of course).

          For example, suppose the cursor is on the first line and I want to
          search for something starting at Line 1000 without moving the cursor. I
          could use search('\%>999l<pat>'). If I understand how the search engine
          works (and I have never dived into the code, so maybe not) then this
          searches every character up to Line 1000, checking to see if it matches.
          It would be more readable, and faster if I am right, to use
          search('<pat>', '', 1000, 2000), where '' is the flags parameter, 1000
          is my suggested startline parameter, and 2000 is the new stopline
          parameter.

          --Benji Fisher
        • Bram Moolenaar
          Message 4 of 16 , Mar 2, 2006
            Benji Fisher wrote:

            > On Wed, Mar 01, 2006 at 10:54:54AM -0800, Gerald Lai wrote:
            > > On Wed, 1 Mar 2006, Benji Fisher wrote:
            > > [snip]
            > > >Is there any way to catch a match at the very start of the file with
            > > >search(), analogous to
            > > >
            > > >:0/<pat>/
            > >
            > > :0/<pat>/ places the cursor at the start of the line of the first
            > > occurence of <pat> from the beginning of the file. This is the same as:
            > >
            > > :call search('\%^\_.\{-}\zs.*<pat>')
            > >
            > > To place the cursor at the beginning of the search occurence, remove
            > > ".*":
            > >
            > > :call search('\%^\_.\{-}\zs<pat>')
            > >
            > > The anchors for start and end-of-file are \%^ and \%$, respectively :)
            > > --
            > > Gerald
            >
            > Thanks, that works. Still, I wonder whether this might be slower
            > than :0/<pat> . Maybe, before we get too used to the new stopline
            > parameter to search() and related functions, we should ask Bram to add a
            > startline parameter before it (both optional, of course).
            >
            > For example, suppose the cursor is on the first line and I want to
            > search for something starting at Line 1000 without moving the cursor. I
            > could use search('\%>999l<pat>'). If I understand how the search engine
            > works (and I have never dived into the code, so maybe not) then this
            > searches every character up to Line 1000, checking to see if it matches.
            > It would be more readable, and faster if I am right, to use
            > search('<pat>', '', 1000, 2000), where '' is the flags parameter, 1000
            > is my suggested startline parameter, and 2000 is the new stopline
            > parameter.

            You don't need a startline parameter, you can set the cursor to where
            you want the search to start. You just need to save and restore the
            cursor (I'll make that a bit simpler).

            9. As often as possible, skip rather than walk.