Re: GVim 7.0aa Segfaulting in font dialog

  • A. S. Budden
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 1, 2006
      On 01/03/06, A. J. Mechelynck <antoine.mechelynck@...> wrote:
      > panshizhu@... wrote:

      > >> I don't have this font. The other Lucida fonts I have work fine.
      > >>
      > >> Can you try compiling with "-g" instead of "-O2" and use gdb to find out
      > >> where the crash occurs? If it still happens without optimizer...
      > >>
      > >> You may have to disable Perl and Python to get sensible debugging info,
      > >> multi-threading makes this difficult.
      > >

      > > "Lucida Console" is provided with all Windows distributions, If he
      > > mentioned the font "Lucida Console", I think he is running Windows, so, gdb
      > > may not be available.
      > >

      > A similar-looking font is called lucidatypewriter on Linux; but the
      > actual binary font file might be different. OTOH I don't see "Bitstream
      > Vera Sans Mono" on my XP distribution so I thought the OP was on Unix
      > and had maybe downloaded a "Lucida Console" font from third-party
      > source. Actually I don't know.
      >
      > There is a native-W32 gdb for MinGW and also a gdb for Cygwin using the
      > cygwin1.dll. It is often better to debug with the debugger that came
      > with whatever compiler was used (gdb with gcc, Turbo Debug with the
      > Borland compiler, etc.). Since Cygwin gcc for native-Windows can be
      > regarded as a cross-compiler, it might be an exception.

      Sorry for the confusion everyone: I use Arch Linux, but have a dual
      boot to Windows and always kinda liked the Lucida Console font, so I
      copied it across to the other partition.

      Al
    • A. J. Mechelynck
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 1, 2006
        A. S. Budden wrote:
        [...]
        > Sorry for the confusion everyone: I use Arch Linux, but have a dual
        > boot to Windows and always kinda liked the Lucida Console font, so I
        > copied it across to the other partition.
        >
        > Al

        So it's a Windows font on a Linux system. Maybe that's the problem. Try
        using the "lucidatypewriter" (or maybe Lucida Typewriter) font instead,
        it's often available out-of-the-box on Linux, and it is almost identical
        to what Windows calls Lucida Console. If you don't already have it
        installed, try to find it on your Linux install disks (or whatever your
        Linux distro came on).

      • Frank Marx
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 2, 2006
          On Wed, 01 Mar 2006 11:05:36 +0100, "A. J. Mechelynck" <antoine.mechelynck@...> wrote:

          >A. S. Budden wrote:
          >[...]
          >> Sorry for the confusion everyone: I use Arch Linux, but have a dual
          >> boot to Windows and always kinda liked the Lucida Console font, so I
          >> copied it across to the other partition.
          >>
          >> Al
          >>

          >So it's a Windows font on a Linux system. Maybe that's the problem. Try
          >using the "lucidatypewriter" (or maybe Lucida Typewriter) font instead,
          >it's often available out-of-the-box on Linux, and it is almost identical
          >to what Windows calls Lucida Console. If you don't already have it
          >installed, try to find it on your Linux install disks (or whatever your
          >Linux distro came on).
          >

          >Best regards,
          >Tony.

          Hi:

          I use `Lucida\ Console\ #' *from my win32 partition* without any problems.
          I.e., I don't even copy it, i just add a symlink to `/c/fonts' to
          `/usr/share/fonts', and add that (symlinked) directory to 'xorg.conf':

          Section "Files"
          FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/truetype"
          .
          .
          .
          EndSection

          In both gui-vim, and in both rxvt and xterm.

          Is your local copy possible corrupt?

          /frank
          f.g.marx <fmarx@...>