Vim7 for OSX

  • Robert Hicks
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 28, 2006
      Is anyone producing packages for Vim7 builds?

      Robert
    • Robert Hicks
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 28, 2006
        Robert Hicks wrote:
        > Is anyone producing packages for Vim7 builds?
        >
        > Robert

        I should also add that macvim.org has a version but it is from last year.

        Robert
      • Benji Fisher
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 1, 2006
          On Tue, Feb 28, 2006 at 04:48:44PM -0500, Robert Hicks wrote:
          > Robert Hicks wrote:
          > >Is anyone producing packages for Vim7 builds?
          > >
          > >Robert
          > >

          > I should also add that macvim.org has a version but it is from last year.

          I will update that at some point, but first I need to make some
          time to organize all the suggestions and problems for compiling vim on
          Intel macs and making "universal" binaries. (Short form: use -O
          instead of -O2 for compiling with gcc 4.x on Intel. It is possible to
          get a universal binary by hacking the configure/make process, but not if
          you want to link to any of Perl, Python, etc.)

          HTH --Benji Fisher
        • Bram Moolenaar
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 1, 2006
            Benji Fisher wrote:

            > On Tue, Feb 28, 2006 at 04:48:44PM -0500, Robert Hicks wrote:
            > > Robert Hicks wrote:
            > > >Is anyone producing packages for Vim7 builds?
            > > >
            > > >Robert
            > > >

            > > I should also add that macvim.org has a version but it is from last year.
            >
            > I will update that at some point, but first I need to make some
            > time to organize all the suggestions and problems for compiling vim on
            > Intel macs and making "universal" binaries. (Short form: use -O
            > instead of -O2 for compiling with gcc 4.x on Intel. It is possible to
            > get a universal binary by hacking the configure/make process, but not if
            > you want to link to any of Perl, Python, etc.)

            I just managed to make configure work with Xcode 2.2 and OS X 10.4.
            With a bit of luck "make" now produces a universal binary automatially
            (if you installed the universal SDK, of course). The "--with-mac-arch"
            argument can change this.

            The problem with -O2 is defenitely a bug in the gcc 4.0 optimizer. I
            stepped through the code and can see that two pieces of source code were
            executed in the wrong order, causing memory that was already freed to be
            used. Configure now automatically changes -O2 to -Oz to avoid this.
            But if you set CFLAGS manually it may still break.

            --
            Far back in the mists of ancient time, in the great and glorious days of the
            former Galactic Empire, life was wild, rich and largely tax free.

          • Alan Schmitt
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 1, 2006
              On 1 mars 06, at 16:28, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

              > The problem with -O2 is defenitely a bug in the gcc 4.0 optimizer. I
              > stepped through the code and can see that two pieces of source code
              > were
              > executed in the wrong order, causing memory that was already freed
              > to be
              > used. Configure now automatically changes -O2 to -Oz to avoid this.
              > But if you set CFLAGS manually it may still break.

              Is this related to the bug I mentioned a few days ago? I built Vim on
              X.4.4 with -O2 and -g, and here is the backtrace I got from the
              segfault:

              (gdb) bt
              #0 0xffff8a54 in ___memcpy () at /System/Library/Frameworks/
              System.framework/PrivateHeaders/ppc/cpu_capabilities.h:189
              #1 0x00047508 in repl_cmdline (eap=0xbfffe790, src=0x1804e00 "/Users/
              schmitta/src/vim7_aap/vim7/runtime/syntax/syntax.vim",
              srclen=7055088, repl=0x18011e "\221?", cmdlinep=0xbfffe898) at
              ex_docmd.c:4411
              #2 0x0004bb58 in expand_filename (eap=0xbfffe790,
              cmdlinep=0xbfffe898, errormsgp=0xbfffe74c) at ex_docmd.c:4269
              #3 0x00050970 in do_one_cmd (cmdlinep=0xbfffe898, sourcing=1,
              cstack=0xbfffe8c8, getline=0, cookie=0x0) at ex_docmd.c:2537
              #4 0x00051cc8 in do_cmdline (cmdline=0x0, getline=0, cookie=0x0,
              flags=11) at ex_docmd.c:1094
              #5 0x001123e4 in syn_cmd_onoff (eap=0xbfffee10, name=0x14a4ac
              "syntax") at syntax.c:3508
              #6 0x0011c568 in ex_syntax (eap=0xbfffee10) at syntax.c:5916
              #7 0x00051158 in do_one_cmd (cmdlinep=0xbfffef18, sourcing=1,
              cstack=0xbfffef48, getline=0x45e88 <getsourceline>,
              cookie=0xbffff338) at ex_docmd.c:2601
              #8 0x00051cc8 in do_cmdline (cmdline=0xbffff338 "?", getline=0x45e88
              <getsourceline>, cookie=0xbffff338, flags=7) at ex_docmd.c:1094
              #9 0x00045668 in do_source (fname=0x151874 "$HOME/.vimrc",
              check_other=1, is_vimrc=1467020) at ex_cmds2.c:2972
              #10 0x0007dba8 in main (argc=1, argv=0xbffff618) at main.c:2599

              What is the recommended way of building Vim on Mac (i.e. how can I
              specify cleanly to not use -O2?)

              Thanks,

              Alan

              --
              Alan Schmitt <http://alan.petitepomme.net/>

              The hacker: someone who figured things out and made something cool
              happen.
              .O.
              ..O
              OOO
            • Bram Moolenaar
              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 1, 2006
                Alan Schmitt wrote:

                > > The problem with -O2 is defenitely a bug in the gcc 4.0 optimizer. I
                > > stepped through the code and can see that two pieces of source code
                > > were
                > > executed in the wrong order, causing memory that was already freed
                > > to be
                > > used. Configure now automatically changes -O2 to -Oz to avoid this.
                > > But if you set CFLAGS manually it may still break.
                >
                > Is this related to the bug I mentioned a few days ago? I built Vim on
                > X.4.4 with -O2 and -g, and here is the backtrace I got from the
                > segfault:
                >
                > (gdb) bt
                > #0 0xffff8a54 in ___memcpy () at /System/Library/Frameworks/
                > System.framework/PrivateHeaders/ppc/cpu_capabilities.h:189
                > #1 0x00047508 in repl_cmdline (eap=0xbfffe790, src=0x1804e00 "/Users/
                > schmitta/src/vim7_aap/vim7/runtime/syntax/syntax.vim",
                > srclen=7055088, repl=0x18011e "\221?", cmdlinep=0xbfffe898) at
                > ex_docmd.c:4411
                > #2 0x0004bb58 in expand_filename (eap=0xbfffe790,
                > cmdlinep=0xbfffe898, errormsgp=0xbfffe74c) at ex_docmd.c:4269

                Yep, the problem appears in expand_filename().

                > What is the recommended way of building Vim on Mac (i.e. how can I
                > specify cleanly to not use -O2?)

                With the current snapshot it's a matter of running "make". Configure
                should figure out everything, as it's supposed to do. You only need to
                avoid that CFLAGS is overruled somehow.

                4. Put your garbage can on your desk and label it "in".

              • Jeremy Conlin
                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 2, 2006

                  > Yep, the problem appears in expand_filename().
                  >
                  > > What is the recommended way of building Vim on Mac (i.e. how can I
                  > > specify cleanly to not use -O2?)
                  >
                  > With the current snapshot it's a matter of running "make". Configure
                  > should figure out everything, as it's supposed to do. You only need to
                  > avoid that CFLAGS is overruled somehow.

                  I have successfully compiled Vim on my new MacBook. However it fails
                  when compiled via aap, but works well if I just do it manually after
                  downloading the latest snapshot. Why are these two processes
                  different? Shouldn't aap do the same thing as

                  ./configure
                  make
                  sudo make install

                  ?

                  Thanks,
                  Jeremy
                • Bram Moolenaar
                  Message 8 of 8 , Mar 2, 2006
                    Jeremy Conlin wrote:

                    > > Yep, the problem appears in expand_filename().
                    > >
                    > > > What is the recommended way of building Vim on Mac (i.e. how can I
                    > > > specify cleanly to not use -O2?)
                    > >
                    > > With the current snapshot it's a matter of running "make". Configure
                    > > should figure out everything, as it's supposed to do. You only need to
                    > > avoid that CFLAGS is overruled somehow.
                    > >
                    > I have successfully compiled Vim on my new MacBook. However it fails
                    > when compiled via aap, but works well if I just do it manually after
                    > downloading the latest snapshot. Why are these two processes
                    > different? Shouldn't aap do the same thing as
                    >
                    > ./configure
                    > make
                    > sudo make install
                    >
                    > ?

                    The Aap recipe lags behind the Makefile a bit. The part to fill Vim.app
                    is missing. You need to use Makefile for that.

                    --
                    Now it is such a bizarrely improbable coincidence that anything as
                    mind-bogglingly useful as the Babel fish could have evolved purely by chance