"Split diff with..." jump to next change

  • Liss, Stuart
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 28, 2006
      I'm using "Split diff with..." and tried ] to move to the next change
      and it goes to the bottom of the file.

      There are many lines in red, so I know there are changes to jump to.

      Any ideas?

      Thanks,

      Stuart

      ----
      This message is intended only for the personal and confidential use of the designated recipient(s) named. If you are not the intended recipient of this message, you are hereby notified that any review, dissemination, distribution or copying of this message is strictly prohibited. This communication is for information purposes only and should not be regarded as an offer to sell or as a solicitation of an offer to buy any financial product, an official confirmation of any transaction, or as an official statement of Aurora Loan Services. Email transmission cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error-free. Therefore, we do not represent that this information is complete or accurate and it should not be relied upon as such. All information is subject to change without notice.
    • Chris Allen
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 28, 2006
        On 2/28/06, Liss, Stuart <sliss@...> wrote:
        > I'm using "Split diff with..." and tried ] to move to the next change
        > and it goes to the bottom of the file.

        Unless you've made a typo here then you're probably using the wrong
        command. The command to jump to the next difference is ]c. ] by
        itself is not a command, but ]] will go to the next { in the first
        column -- an action which may well deposit you at the end of the file
        if you haven't got any such { characters.

        HTH,
        Chris Allen
      • Liss, Stuart
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 28, 2006
          Hi Chris,

          I thought the 'c' was a count of how many changes you want to jump to.
          I can't get ]c to work either. I see the ] show up in the command
          window, but the c doesn't do anything. ']]' goes to the end of the
          file.

          Stuart

          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 28, 2006
            On 2/28/06, Liss, Stuart <sliss@...> wrote:
            > Hi Chris,
            >
            > I thought the 'c' was a count of how many changes you want to jump to.
            > I can't get ]c to work either. I see the ] show up in the command
            > window, but the c doesn't do anything. ']]' goes to the end of the
            > file.

            A count may preceed the command in the manner of most other normal
            mode (36]c) commands. I'm not sure what to recommend if ]c is not
            working for you.

            HTH,
            Chris Allen
          • Gary Johnson
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 28, 2006
              On 2006-02-28, "Liss, Stuart" <sliss@...> wrote:
              > Hi Chris,
              >
              > I thought the 'c' was a count of how many changes you want to jump to.
              > I can't get ]c to work either. I see the ] show up in the command
              > window, but the c doesn't do anything. ']]' goes to the end of the
              > file.

              You might try starting vim as

              vim -N -u NONE yourfilename

              to remove the effect of your ~/.vimrc and any plugins in case
              something has remapped ]c. ]c should certainly work then.

              HTH,
              Gary

              --
              Gary Johnson | Agilent Technologies
              garyjohn@... | Wireless Division
              | Spokane, Washington, USA
            • Benji Fisher
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 1, 2006
                On Tue, Feb 28, 2006 at 11:19:11AM -0800, Gary Johnson wrote:
                > On 2006-02-28, "Liss, Stuart" <sliss@...> wrote:
                > > Hi Chris,
                > >
                > > I thought the 'c' was a count of how many changes you want to jump to.
                > > I can't get ]c to work either. I see the ] show up in the command
                > > window, but the c doesn't do anything. ']]' goes to the end of the
                > > file.
                >
                > You might try starting vim as
                >
                > vim -N -u NONE yourfilename
                >
                > to remove the effect of your ~/.vimrc and any plugins in case
                > something has remapped ]c. ]c should certainly work then.

                I am nervous about trying :diffsplit with 'compatible' set and none
                of the standard plugins, so I would recommend this variant:

                $ vim -u path/to/vimrc_example.vim foo
                :diffsplit bar

                If neither of these helps, please send two files (as small as
                possible) where ]c does not work and your :version information so that
                we can try to reproduce the problem.

                HTH --Benji Fisher