Re: ":global" results in quickfix window

  • Marian Csontos
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 1, 2006
      On Wed, 01 Feb 2006 14:39:47 +0100, Jean-Rene David <jrdavid@...>
      wrote:

      > I often use :g/foo/# to search for a pattern when I know
      > it occurs many times in a file and I want to avoid
      > using / followed by multiple "n"'s to find a
      > specific match.
      >
      > Tip 1063
      > (http://www.vim.org/tips/tip.php?tip_id=1063)
      > shows how to save the output of :g to a file.
      > Has anyone had this working by sending the output
      > to the quickfix window?
      >
      > I mean if it's just a matter of finding the right
      > 'errorformat' I'll figure it out. I just want to
      > know if someone's got it up and running already
      > before I spend the time.

      Hi, with vim7 it so easy - simply use :vimgrep

      Regards,

      -- Marian

      ________ Information from NOD32 ________
      part000.txt - is OK
      http://www.nod32.com
    • Yegappan Lakshmanan
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 1, 2006

        On 2/1/06, Marian Csontos <csontos@...> wrote:
        > On Wed, 01 Feb 2006 14:39:47 +0100, Jean-Rene David <jrdavid@...>
        > wrote:
        >
        > > I often use :g/foo/# to search for a pattern when I know
        > > it occurs many times in a file and I want to avoid
        > > using / followed by multiple "n"'s to find a
        > > specific match.
        > >
        > > Tip 1063
        > > (http://www.vim.org/tips/tip.php?tip_id=1063)
        > > shows how to save the output of :g to a file.
        > > Has anyone had this working by sending the output
        > > to the quickfix window?
        > >
        > > I mean if it's just a matter of finding the right
        > > 'errorformat' I'll figure it out. I just want to
        > > know if someone's got it up and running already
        > > before I spend the time.
        > >

        > Hi, with vim7 it so easy - simply use :vimgrep

        In Vim7, you can also use the new ":caddexpr" command
        to add the results to the quickfix window:

        g/<pattern>/caddexpr expand("%") . ":" . line(".") . ":" . getline(".")

        - Yegappan
      • Hari Krishna Dara
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 1, 2006
          On Wed, 1 Feb 2006 at 3:16pm, Marian Csontos wrote:

          > On Wed, 01 Feb 2006 14:39:47 +0100, Jean-Rene David <jrdavid@...>
          > wrote:
          >
          > > I often use :g/foo/# to search for a pattern when I know
          > > it occurs many times in a file and I want to avoid
          > > using / followed by multiple "n"'s to find a
          > > specific match.
          > >
          > > Tip 1063
          > > (http://www.vim.org/tips/tip.php?tip_id=1063)
          > > shows how to save the output of :g to a file.
          > > Has anyone had this working by sending the output
          > > to the quickfix window?
          > >
          > > I mean if it's just a matter of finding the right
          > > 'errorformat' I'll figure it out. I just want to
          > > know if someone's got it up and running already
          > > before I spend the time.
          > >

          > Hi, with vim7 it so easy - simply use :vimgrep
          >
          > Regards,
          >
          > -- Marian

          To the OP, if Vim7 is not an option, my greputils plugin will help you.
          Are you aware of the vim.org scripts section? If you do a search for
          grep you will find this and other plugins.

          --
          HTH,
          Hari

          http://mail.yahoo.com