Re: First ten steps of Vim stairway to heaven

  • Marian Csontos
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 1 4:24 AM
      On Wed, 01 Feb 2006 11:52:36 +0100, Hiroshi Iwatani <HGA03630@...>
      wrote:

      > Starting from beginner to reach a sophomore intermediate level, what
      > would be the ten steps, each of which might contain two to four related
      > skill items, of Vim learning path?
      >
      > I'd like to write a Vim introductory book, in Japanese, based on your
      > opinions and suggestions.
      >
      > Thanks a lot in advance!

      Ufff, hard to say.
      I consider regular expressions as a key feature of vim. Kind of a must
      have.
      Can't live without mappings and abbreviations, registers.
      vim scripting language is very useful and powerful too, but may be behind
      book's content, instead of it I'd mention some important plugins.

      And rest is all about ``mastering keyboard'': learn first important
      keystrokes in different modes, drill them. And constantly searching
      manual, wondering on every feature implemented already you were looking
      for for a long time.

      And of course many realy important options.

      I'm unable to sort it by importance/lesson...

      Marian Csontos

      ________ Information from NOD32 ________
      part000.txt - is OK
      http://www.nod32.com
    • Anatoli Sakhnik
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 1 4:31 AM
        Hello!

        Why is there ten steps to reach the mastery? As of me, the only three
        steps would be enough:
        1) complete the vimtutor in any language;
        2) study the user manual reference by Bram Moolenaar, which is
        included in standard distribution (:help usr_??.txt);
        3) practise everywhere and all the time.

        When seriously, I believe the right order of teaching is given in the
        user manual: principles, movements, modes, insert mode, normal mode
        commands, etc.

        -- Anatoli Sakhnik

        On 01/02/06, Hiroshi Iwatani <HGA03630@...> wrote:
        > Starting from beginner to reach a sophomore intermediate level, what
        > would be the ten steps, each of which might contain two to four related
        > skill items, of Vim learning path?
        >
        > I'd like to write a Vim introductory book, in Japanese, based on your
        > opinions and suggestions.
        >
        > Thanks a lot in advance!
        >
        > --
        > Hiroshi Iwatani: http://homepage1.nifty.com/algafield/
        >
        > *stop cruelty* Annual number of institutionally euthanized cats and dogs
        > including kittens and puppies: US 5 million, JP 500 thousand. How about
        > your country? *for our better karma*
        > ---------------------

      • Benji Fisher
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 1 5:36 AM
          On Wed, Feb 01, 2006 at 07:52:36PM +0900, Hiroshi Iwatani wrote:
          > Starting from beginner to reach a sophomore intermediate level, what
          > would be the ten steps, each of which might contain two to four related
          > skill items, of Vim learning path?
          >
          > I'd like to write a Vim introductory book, in Japanese, based on your
          > opinions and suggestions.

          Decide for yourself what parts of the users' manual should be
          included.

          :help toc

          I learned to use vim before the users' manual was written, so my
          standard advice is based on other parts of the docs. To reach the
          beginner stage,

          :help help

          IMHO, :help is the single most important improvement over traditional
          vi.

          To reach the sophomore level, read

          :help change.txt
          :help motion.txt

          One of the great efficiencies of Normal mode is that if you learn 12
          operators (d, c, y, g~, gU, gu, g?, <, >, !, =, gq) and 15 motions (say
          h, j, k, l, w, e, b, (, ), {, }, gg, G, H, L) then you can do 12 * 15
          operations. Even better, you can use counts, as in c2w .

          To go further, you need to use regular expressions effectively, so
          read

          :help pattern.txt

          (perhaps twice).

          HTH --Benji Fisher