First ten steps of Vim stairway to heaven

  • Hiroshi Iwatani
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 1 2:52 AM
      Starting from beginner to reach a sophomore intermediate level, what
      would be the ten steps, each of which might contain two to four related
      skill items, of Vim learning path?

      I'd like to write a Vim introductory book, in Japanese, based on your
      opinions and suggestions.

      Thanks a lot in advance!

      --
      Hiroshi Iwatani: http://homepage1.nifty.com/algafield/

      *stop cruelty* Annual number of institutionally euthanized cats and dogs
      including kittens and puppies: US 5 million, JP 500 thousand. How about
      your country? *for our better karma*
      ---------------------
    • Marian Csontos
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 1 4:24 AM
        On Wed, 01 Feb 2006 11:52:36 +0100, Hiroshi Iwatani <HGA03630@...>
        wrote:

        > Starting from beginner to reach a sophomore intermediate level, what
        > would be the ten steps, each of which might contain two to four related
        > skill items, of Vim learning path?
        >
        > I'd like to write a Vim introductory book, in Japanese, based on your
        > opinions and suggestions.
        >
        > Thanks a lot in advance!

        Ufff, hard to say.
        I consider regular expressions as a key feature of vim. Kind of a must
        have.
        Can't live without mappings and abbreviations, registers.
        vim scripting language is very useful and powerful too, but may be behind
        book's content, instead of it I'd mention some important plugins.

        And rest is all about ``mastering keyboard'': learn first important
        keystrokes in different modes, drill them. And constantly searching
        manual, wondering on every feature implemented already you were looking
        for for a long time.

        And of course many realy important options.

        I'm unable to sort it by importance/lesson...

        Marian Csontos

        ________ Information from NOD32 ________
        part000.txt - is OK
        http://www.nod32.com
      • Anatoli Sakhnik
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 1 4:31 AM
          Hello!

          Why is there ten steps to reach the mastery? As of me, the only three
          steps would be enough:
          1) complete the vimtutor in any language;
          2) study the user manual reference by Bram Moolenaar, which is
          included in standard distribution (:help usr_??.txt);
          3) practise everywhere and all the time.

          When seriously, I believe the right order of teaching is given in the
          user manual: principles, movements, modes, insert mode, normal mode
          commands, etc.

          -- Anatoli Sakhnik

          On 01/02/06, Hiroshi Iwatani <HGA03630@...> wrote:
          > Starting from beginner to reach a sophomore intermediate level, what
          > would be the ten steps, each of which might contain two to four related
          > skill items, of Vim learning path?
          >
          > I'd like to write a Vim introductory book, in Japanese, based on your
          > opinions and suggestions.
          >
          > Thanks a lot in advance!
          >
          > --
          > Hiroshi Iwatani: http://homepage1.nifty.com/algafield/
          >
          > *stop cruelty* Annual number of institutionally euthanized cats and dogs
          > including kittens and puppies: US 5 million, JP 500 thousand. How about
          > your country? *for our better karma*
          > ---------------------

        • Benji Fisher
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 1 5:36 AM
            On Wed, Feb 01, 2006 at 07:52:36PM +0900, Hiroshi Iwatani wrote:
            > Starting from beginner to reach a sophomore intermediate level, what
            > would be the ten steps, each of which might contain two to four related
            > skill items, of Vim learning path?
            >
            > I'd like to write a Vim introductory book, in Japanese, based on your
            > opinions and suggestions.

            Decide for yourself what parts of the users' manual should be
            included.

            :help toc

            I learned to use vim before the users' manual was written, so my
            standard advice is based on other parts of the docs. To reach the
            beginner stage,

            :help help

            IMHO, :help is the single most important improvement over traditional
            vi.

            To reach the sophomore level, read

            :help change.txt
            :help motion.txt

            One of the great efficiencies of Normal mode is that if you learn 12
            operators (d, c, y, g~, gU, gu, g?, <, >, !, =, gq) and 15 motions (say
            h, j, k, l, w, e, b, (, ), {, }, gg, G, H, L) then you can do 12 * 15
            operations. Even better, you can use counts, as in c2w .

            To go further, you need to use regular expressions effectively, so
            read

            :help pattern.txt

            (perhaps twice).

            HTH --Benji Fisher