Re: shell in vim

  • Gareth Oakes
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 1, 2006
      Hi Marco,

      Marco Kunze wrote:
      > Hi,
      >
      > I know it is possible to start a shell from vim, but is it also possible
      > to start the shell within a split window, so that I could jump in and
      > out of the shell by using Strg-W?
      >
      > Marco

      Often-requested feature, but this is where Vim draws the line. The best
      you can get here is by using GNU screen with the console version of Vim.

      There are however a couple of projects attempting to get this all
      working within Vim itself. One solution (can't remember the name) only
      works on Linux.

      The other is cross-platform but requires Python:

      Hope that helps,
      Gareth
    • Justin Randall
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 1, 2006
        I would really also love to have this feature. I would like to be able to run a shell
        from within a split window and be able to jump in and out of the shell to edit in the
        other half of the split window. Does anybody know if this will be offered in VIM 7 or if
        there is a good plugin that lets you achieve this?

        http://mail.yahoo.com