Re: replacement question

  • Mark Woodward
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 1, 2006
      Alessandro said the following on 2/01/2006 9:44 AM:

      >Hello,
      >
      >I'm trying to remove lines in a file that have the word "length".
      >
      >I did so like this:
      >
      >:%s/.*length.*//g
      >
      >But this, as you probably know, leaves a blank line in place of the line
      >that was there before. I wold like to make it so that the lines is
      >completely erased, as in all lines after that should go up one (like
      >doing "dd" on each line that contains "length").
      >
      >Thank you,
      >
      >~Ale

      you could just use:
      :g/length/d

      --
      Mark
    • A. J. Mechelynck
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 1, 2006
        Alessandro wrote:
        > Hello,
        >
        > I'm trying to remove lines in a file that have the word "length".
        >
        > I did so like this:
        >
        > :%s/.*length.*//g
        >
        > But this, as you probably know, leaves a blank line in place of the line
        > that was there before. I wold like to make it so that the lines is
        > completely erased, as in all lines after that should go up one (like
        > doing "dd" on each line that contains "length").
        >
        > Thank you,
        >
        > ~Ale

        Assuming you want to delete

        the length and width of the room

        (where "length" is a word) but not

        the line will be lengthened

        (where it isn't), you could use

        :g/\<length\>/d

        see
        :help :g
        :help :d
        :help pattern

        HTH,
        Tony
      • Ted Arnold
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 1, 2006
          Alessandro wrote:
          > Hello,
          >
          > I'm trying to remove lines in a file that have the word "length".
          >
          > I did so like this:
          >
          > :%s/.*length.*//g
          >
          > But this, as you probably know, leaves a blank line in place of the line
          > that was there before. I wold like to make it so that the lines is
          > completely erased, as in all lines after that should go up one (like
          > doing "dd" on each line that contains "length").
          >
          > Thank you,
          >
          > ~Ale

          I find it amusing that you weenies are so stupid.

          Here, Alessandro, cannot figure out a simple task. What an idiot. Sheesh.

          I see this idiocy is typical among those asking questions.

          What helpless idiots you vim people are. Stupid-wise, you're at the bottom.