Re: replacement question

  • Bill McCarthy
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 1, 2006
      On Sun 1-Jan-06 4:44pm -0600, Alessandro wrote:

      > I'm trying to remove lines in a file that have the word "length".
      >
      > I did so like this:
      >
      > :%s/.*length.*//g

      Apparently you don't care whether "length" is a "word" so:

      :g/length/d

      Bill
    • Mark Woodward
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 1, 2006
        Alessandro said the following on 2/01/2006 9:44 AM:

        >Hello,
        >
        >I'm trying to remove lines in a file that have the word "length".
        >
        >I did so like this:
        >
        >:%s/.*length.*//g
        >
        >But this, as you probably know, leaves a blank line in place of the line
        >that was there before. I wold like to make it so that the lines is
        >completely erased, as in all lines after that should go up one (like
        >doing "dd" on each line that contains "length").
        >
        >Thank you,
        >
        >~Ale

        you could just use:
        :g/length/d

        --
        Mark
      • A. J. Mechelynck
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 1, 2006
          Alessandro wrote:
          > Hello,
          >
          > I'm trying to remove lines in a file that have the word "length".
          >
          > I did so like this:
          >
          > :%s/.*length.*//g
          >
          > But this, as you probably know, leaves a blank line in place of the line
          > that was there before. I wold like to make it so that the lines is
          > completely erased, as in all lines after that should go up one (like
          > doing "dd" on each line that contains "length").
          >
          > Thank you,
          >
          > ~Ale

          Assuming you want to delete

          the length and width of the room

          (where "length" is a word) but not

          the line will be lengthened

          (where it isn't), you could use

          :g/\<length\>/d

          see
          :help :g
          :help :d
          :help pattern

          HTH,
          Tony
        • Ted Arnold
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 1, 2006
            Alessandro wrote:
            > Hello,
            >
            > I'm trying to remove lines in a file that have the word "length".
            >
            > I did so like this:
            >
            > :%s/.*length.*//g
            >
            > But this, as you probably know, leaves a blank line in place of the line
            > that was there before. I wold like to make it so that the lines is
            > completely erased, as in all lines after that should go up one (like
            > doing "dd" on each line that contains "length").
            >
            > Thank you,
            >
            > ~Ale

            I find it amusing that you weenies are so stupid.

            Here, Alessandro, cannot figure out a simple task. What an idiot. Sheesh.

            I see this idiocy is typical among those asking questions.

            What helpless idiots you vim people are. Stupid-wise, you're at the bottom.