Re: Is this Possible with Vim Macros?

  • Rik Herrin
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 1, 2006
      Thanks a lot Tim.

      --- Tim Chase <vim@...> wrote:

      > > Thanks a lot for your input. Now only if it can
      > be converted a perl
      > > script, then you could use vim to quickly hack
      > scripts and deploy
      > > them anywhere even if there is no vim installed :D
      >
      > Not being a perl user, I'm afraid I don't know much
      > about doing such a
      > translation. However, much of what a vim script
      > does could be
      > translated into a scripting language like perl or
      > Python.
      > Unfortunately, you'd have to have a fairly
      > exhaustive knowledge of
      > vimscript to do such a translation...particularly
      > the functions and Ex
      > peculiarities.
      >
      > > PS. By the way, do you know of any good vim
      > scripting example sites
      > > where I can learn vim scripting? Thanks for your
      > time.
      >
      > I'd say the best way to learn is to jump in and try
      > a few simple
      > scripts. However, on top of that, you can look at
      > other example scripts
      > which are plentiful. There are a number of scripts
      > at Dr. Chip's site:
      >
      > http://mysite.verizon.net/astronaut/vim/index.html
      >
      > and the vim.org site:
      >
      > http://www.vim.org/scripts/index.php
      >
      > Once you know one language, learning vimscript is
      > pretty simple--just a
      > matter of learning a few syntax differences, and
      > learning the vocabulary
      > of available functions.
      >
      > For the former (in general), you can check out
      >
      > :help eval.txt
      >
      > and for the functions, you can simply look up
      >
      > :help functions
      >
      > for that section in eval.txt
      >
      > -tim

      Just $16.99/mo. or less.
      dsl.yahoo.com
    • Ted Arnold
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 1, 2006
        Tim Chase wrote:
        >> Thanks a lot for your input. Now only if it can be converted a perl
        >> script, then you could use vim to quickly hack scripts and deploy them
        >> anywhere even if there is no vim installed :D
        >

        > Not being a perl user, I'm afraid I don't know much about doing such a
        > translation. However, much of what a vim script does could be
        > translated into a scripting language like perl or Python.
        > Unfortunately, you'd have to have a fairly exhaustive knowledge of
        > vimscript to do such a translation...particularly the functions and Ex
        > peculiarities.

        Tim, you are really stupid. You admit being ignorant of perl, then you make the
        stupid claim that vim scripts can be translated into perl.

        You ignorant weenie, pretending to be an expert.

        Tim, just shut the fuck up. You embarrass weenies everywhere.

        > -tim

        (btw, the weenies at vim-dev deleted me, and pushed me over here to arrass you. shows what they think of you)