Re: Is this Possible with Vim Macros?

  • Tim Chase
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 1, 2006
      > Thanks a lot for your input. Now only if it can be converted a perl
      > script, then you could use vim to quickly hack scripts and deploy
      > them anywhere even if there is no vim installed :D

      Not being a perl user, I'm afraid I don't know much about doing such a
      translation. However, much of what a vim script does could be
      translated into a scripting language like perl or Python.
      Unfortunately, you'd have to have a fairly exhaustive knowledge of
      vimscript to do such a translation...particularly the functions and Ex
      peculiarities.

      > PS. By the way, do you know of any good vim scripting example sites
      > where I can learn vim scripting? Thanks for your time.

      I'd say the best way to learn is to jump in and try a few simple
      scripts. However, on top of that, you can look at other example scripts
      which are plentiful. There are a number of scripts at Dr. Chip's site:

      http://mysite.verizon.net/astronaut/vim/index.html

      and the vim.org site:

      http://www.vim.org/scripts/index.php

      Once you know one language, learning vimscript is pretty simple--just a
      matter of learning a few syntax differences, and learning the vocabulary
      of available functions.

      For the former (in general), you can check out

      :help eval.txt

      and for the functions, you can simply look up

      :help functions

      for that section in eval.txt

      -tim
    • Rik Herrin
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 1, 2006
        Thanks a lot Tim.

        --- Tim Chase <vim@...> wrote:

        > > Thanks a lot for your input. Now only if it can
        > be converted a perl
        > > script, then you could use vim to quickly hack
        > scripts and deploy
        > > them anywhere even if there is no vim installed :D
        >
        > Not being a perl user, I'm afraid I don't know much
        > about doing such a
        > translation. However, much of what a vim script
        > does could be
        > translated into a scripting language like perl or
        > Python.
        > Unfortunately, you'd have to have a fairly
        > exhaustive knowledge of
        > vimscript to do such a translation...particularly
        > the functions and Ex
        > peculiarities.
        >
        > > PS. By the way, do you know of any good vim
        > scripting example sites
        > > where I can learn vim scripting? Thanks for your
        > time.
        >
        > I'd say the best way to learn is to jump in and try
        > a few simple
        > scripts. However, on top of that, you can look at
        > other example scripts
        > which are plentiful. There are a number of scripts
        > at Dr. Chip's site:
        >
        > http://mysite.verizon.net/astronaut/vim/index.html
        >
        > and the vim.org site:
        >
        > http://www.vim.org/scripts/index.php
        >
        > Once you know one language, learning vimscript is
        > pretty simple--just a
        > matter of learning a few syntax differences, and
        > learning the vocabulary
        > of available functions.
        >
        > For the former (in general), you can check out
        >
        > :help eval.txt
        >
        > and for the functions, you can simply look up
        >
        > :help functions
        >
        > for that section in eval.txt
        >
        > -tim

        Just $16.99/mo. or less.
        dsl.yahoo.com
      • Ted Arnold
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 1, 2006
          Tim Chase wrote:
          >> Thanks a lot for your input. Now only if it can be converted a perl
          >> script, then you could use vim to quickly hack scripts and deploy them
          >> anywhere even if there is no vim installed :D
          >

          > Not being a perl user, I'm afraid I don't know much about doing such a
          > translation. However, much of what a vim script does could be
          > translated into a scripting language like perl or Python.
          > Unfortunately, you'd have to have a fairly exhaustive knowledge of
          > vimscript to do such a translation...particularly the functions and Ex
          > peculiarities.

          Tim, you are really stupid. You admit being ignorant of perl, then you make the
          stupid claim that vim scripts can be translated into perl.

          You ignorant weenie, pretending to be an expert.

          Tim, just shut the fuck up. You embarrass weenies everywhere.

          > -tim

          (btw, the weenies at vim-dev deleted me, and pushed me over here to arrass you. shows what they think of you)