Re: quick question

  • Pete Johns
    Message 1 of 17 , Dec 1, 2005
      On Thu, 2005-12-01 at 10:01:35 -0600, Chris Hudson sent:
      >How would I replace every line in a file that starts with
      >certain text, for example every line that begins with 22.

      :s/^22.*$/Some Text/

      See

      :help :subst

      Hope this helps;

      --paj
      --
      Pete Johns <http://johnsy.com/>
      Tel/Fax numbers and IM information: <http://johnsy.com/contact/>
      Message 2 of 17 , Dec 1, 2005
        On 01/12/05, Chris Hudson <chudson@...> wrote:
        > How would I replace every line in a file that starts with certain text, for
        > example every line that begins with 22.

        The 'substitute' command. For example:

        %s/^22.*$/my replacement text/

        That would replace anywhere in the whole file (%) a string which
        started (^) with 22 (22) and then continued on with anything (or even
        nothing) (.*) to the end of the line ($). See also :help :s

        You can also delete any line starting with a certain string using the
        :global command, if you decide you'd rather do that. Something like:

        :g/^22/ d

        HTH,
        Chris Allen
      • Alan G Isaac
        Message 3 of 17 , Dec 1, 2005
          On Thu, 1 Dec 2005, Chris Hudson apparently wrote:
          > How would I replace every line in a file that starts with certain text, for
          > example every line that begins with 22.

          :g/^22/s/.*/newtext

          hth,
          Alan Isaac
        • Gareth Oakes
          Message 4 of 17 , Dec 1, 2005
            To do a regex search/replace:

            :%s/^22.*/replacement

            To do some command with each line:

            :g/^22/some-ex-command

            -G

            Chris Hudson wrote:
            > How would I replace every line in a file that starts with certain text, for
            > example every line that begins with 22.
            >
            > Thanks,
            > Chris

          • Bob Hiestand
            Message 5 of 17 , Dec 1, 2005
              On 12/1/05, Chris Hudson <chudson@...> wrote:
              > How would I replace every line in a file that starts with certain text, for
              > example every line that begins with 22.
              >
              > Thanks,
              > Chris

              :g/^22/s/.*/replacement
            • A. S. Budden
              Message 6 of 17 , Dec 1, 2005
                On 01/12/05, Chris Hudson <chudson@...> wrote:
                > Sorry, I should have said 'delete' instead of replace. So I guess using your
                > example I could just replace the line with nothing, like this :$s/^22.*//g

                A better way of doing that is to use:

                :g/^22/d

                To read this, find all the files that have a start of line (^)
                immediately followed by two '2's and delete them (d)

                :help :g

                Al
              • Wolfgang Schmidt
                Message 7 of 17 , Dec 1, 2005
                  Chris Hudson schrieb:

                  >How would I replace every line in a file that starts with certain text, for
                  >example every line that begins with 22.
                  >
                  >Thanks,
                  >Chris

                  if e.g your file lookss as follows

                  =====
                  LINESTART this is the rest of the first line
                  LINESTART this is the rest of another line
                  etc.
                  =====

                  :%s/^LINESTART.*/replacement/gc

                  will:

                  -replace every line starting with "LINESTART" with the text
                  "replacement" and prompt for

                  In detail:

                  :%

                  means "work on all lines of the file"

                  s/...//gc

                  means "search and replace globally (g) with confirmation (c)"

                  ^LINESTART

                  means "match every occurence of string LINESTART at the beginning of a
                  line (^)"

                  .*

                  means "followed by any character (.) 0 or any times (*)"

                  Cheers,

                  Wolfgang
                • Frans Grotepass
                  Message 8 of 17 , Dec 1, 2005
                    On Thursday 01 December 2005 17:30, Chris Allen wrote:
                    > On 01/12/05, Chris Hudson <chudson@...> wrote:
                    > > How would I replace every line in a file that starts with certain text,
                    > > for example every line that begins with 22.
                    >
                    > The 'substitute' command. For example:
                    >
                    > %s/^22.*$/my replacement text/
                    >
                    > That would replace anywhere in the whole file (%) a string which
                    > started (^) with 22 (22) and then continued on with anything (or even
                    > nothing) (.*) to the end of the line ($). See also :help :s
                    >
                    > You can also delete any line starting with a certain string using the
                    >
                    > :global command, if you decide you'd rather do that. Something like:
                    > :g/^22/ d
                    >
                    > HTH,
                    > Chris Allen

                    Hi Chris and others,

                    This is one of the first decent answers I've seen on this list. I've been
                    using (g)Vim now for a number of years sporadically. Recently I've changed
                    jobs and I now have a development job in embedded linux, so I am using Vim
                    more often now. The last few months I've made a concerted effort to improve
                    my Vim skills. Using the Vim Regular expressions is obviously one of the
                    powerful tools in the search/replace functions. They are explained in the
                    help.

                    This response is however a good example of how one can learn via example. Most
                    of the answers on questions on this list is simply a post of the commandline
                    and it is assumed that the person asking the question knows what the symbols
                    mean in the search replace. Your response does however show exactly what each
                    expression does and makes it easier for the reader helped by your response to
                    achieve fluency in regular expressions faster.

                    Best regards,

                    Frans Grotepass