RE: vi commands in bash

  • Denio, Michael (IT)
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 1, 2005
      You may want to try zsh. I've found the the vi mode to be superior to
      bash.

      NOTICE: If received in error, please destroy and notify sender. Sender does not waive confidentiality or privilege, and use is prohibited.
    • Matthew Winn
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 1, 2005
        On Thu, Dec 01, 2005 at 10:20:40AM -0500, Denio, Michael (IT) wrote:
        > You may want to try zsh. I've found the the vi mode to be superior to
        > bash.

        I've had trouble with recent versions of Zsh and Vim on some platforms.
        With Zsh version 4.x.x everything would work OK until I went into Vim
        and then used :sh to open an interactive subshell. After I left the
        subshell the next key I pressed in Vim caused Vim to abort claiming that
        it was unable to read its input. I spent an hour or two trying to track
        the problem down but never managed to find the cause.

        Zsh version 3.1.9 works perfectly.

        --
        Matthew Winn (matthew@...)
      • Robert Cussons
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 1, 2005
          Jean-Rene David wrote:

          >* Robert Cussons <r.cussons@...>:
          >

          >>I just found out about putting: set -o vi in
          >>my .bashrc
          >>

          >Two thoughts:
          >
          >- although useful on this list for informational
          > purposes, I think requests to modify bash will
          > be more useful on a bash-related list;
          >
          >- I personnally find zsh's vi-mode far better
          > than bash's, and more flexible to boot. For
          > example, you could do what you are asking fairly
          > easily.
          >
          >But let's not get too far off-topic...

          Hi Jean,

          thanks for the advice, it wasn't so much a request to modify bash, it
          was a request for advice on how to work around bash in its present state
          with mappings etc. and I thought people well versed in Vim might know
          how to perform the relevant action as they might have tried to do it
          themselves. But I will try submitting to a bash related list and see if
          I have any joy.
          Rob.
        • Charles E. Campbell, Jr.
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 1, 2005
            Denio, Michael (IT) wrote:

            >You may want to try zsh. I've found the the vi mode to be superior to
            >bash.

            >NOTICE: If received in error, please destroy and notify sender. Sender does not waive confidentiality or privilege, and use is prohibited.

            Hopefully no one has received your email in error! However, how does
            one notify a sender that has been destroyed already? Besides, is there
            a preferred method for destroying the sender? Perhaps cruise
            missiles? Hmm, the use of what is prohibited? Did I just use
            something? Uh oh...

            Don't y'all just love the legal argle bargle disclaimers... at least
            this one was short.
            Chip Campbell
          • Mark Volkmann
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 24, 2006
              On 12/1/05, Robert Cussons <r.cussons@...> wrote:
              > Hi all,
              >
              > I just found out about putting: set -o vi in my .bashrc to get vim
              > style command line editing in bash

              Cool! But how do you do command-line completion? The tab key no
              longer does that when in vi mode.

              --
              R. Mark Volkmann
              Partner, Object Computing, Inc.