quick question

  • Chris Hudson
    Message 1 of 17 , Dec 1, 2005
      How would I replace every line in a file that starts with certain text, for
      example every line that begins with 22.

      Thanks,
      Chris
    • Peter Palm
      Message 2 of 17 , Dec 1, 2005
        Op donderdag 1 december 2005 17:01, schreef Chris Hudson:
        > How would I replace every line in a file that starts with certain text, for
        > example every line that begins with 22.

        What do you mean by "replace every line", replace with what?

        Given the following contents:
        22 one
        11 two
        33 three
        2222 four

        :g/^22/s/o/a/g

        replaces, on every line beginning with 22, all o's with a's

        Peter
      • Pete Johns
        Message 3 of 17 , Dec 1, 2005
          On Thu, 2005-12-01 at 10:01:35 -0600, Chris Hudson sent:
          >How would I replace every line in a file that starts with
          >certain text, for example every line that begins with 22.

          :s/^22.*$/Some Text/

          See

          :help :subst

          Hope this helps;

          --paj
          --
          Pete Johns <http://johnsy.com/>
          Tel/Fax numbers and IM information: <http://johnsy.com/contact/>
          Message 4 of 17 , Dec 1, 2005
            > How would I replace every line in a file that starts with
            > certain text, for example every line that begins with 22.

            Should be in the tutorial or in the FAQ, but the short answer
            would be

            :%s/^22.*/certain text

            If you want lines that begin with "22", but not "222", then you
            can use

            :%s/^22\>.*/certain text

            or

            :%s/^22[^2].*/certain text

            If you want to replace arbitrary text only on lines beginning
            with "22", you can use

            :g/^22/s/text to change/certain text

            more info can be found at

            :help :s
            :help ordinary-atom
            :help :g

            -tim
          • Chris Allen
            Message 5 of 17 , Dec 1, 2005
              On 01/12/05, Chris Hudson <chudson@...> wrote:
              > How would I replace every line in a file that starts with certain text, for
              > example every line that begins with 22.

              The 'substitute' command. For example:

              %s/^22.*$/my replacement text/

              That would replace anywhere in the whole file (%) a string which
              started (^) with 22 (22) and then continued on with anything (or even
              nothing) (.*) to the end of the line ($). See also :help :s

              You can also delete any line starting with a certain string using the
              :global command, if you decide you'd rather do that. Something like:

              :g/^22/ d

              HTH,
              Chris Allen
            • Alan G Isaac
              Message 6 of 17 , Dec 1, 2005
                On Thu, 1 Dec 2005, Chris Hudson apparently wrote:
                > How would I replace every line in a file that starts with certain text, for
                > example every line that begins with 22.

                :g/^22/s/.*/newtext

                hth,
                Alan Isaac
              • Gareth Oakes
                Message 7 of 17 , Dec 1, 2005
                  To do a regex search/replace:

                  :%s/^22.*/replacement

                  To do some command with each line:

                  :g/^22/some-ex-command

                  -G

                  Chris Hudson wrote:
                  > How would I replace every line in a file that starts with certain text, for
                  > example every line that begins with 22.
                  >
                  > Thanks,
                  > Chris

                • Bob Hiestand
                  Message 8 of 17 , Dec 1, 2005
                    On 12/1/05, Chris Hudson <chudson@...> wrote:
                    > How would I replace every line in a file that starts with certain text, for
                    > example every line that begins with 22.
                    >
                    > Thanks,
                    > Chris

                    :g/^22/s/.*/replacement
                  • A. S. Budden
                    Message 9 of 17 , Dec 1, 2005
                      On 01/12/05, Chris Hudson <chudson@...> wrote:
                      > Sorry, I should have said 'delete' instead of replace. So I guess using your
                      > example I could just replace the line with nothing, like this :$s/^22.*//g

                      A better way of doing that is to use:

                      :g/^22/d

                      To read this, find all the files that have a start of line (^)
                      immediately followed by two '2's and delete them (d)

                      :help :g

                      Al
                    • Wolfgang Schmidt
                      Message 10 of 17 , Dec 1, 2005
                        Chris Hudson schrieb:

                        >How would I replace every line in a file that starts with certain text, for
                        >example every line that begins with 22.
                        >
                        >Thanks,
                        >Chris

                        if e.g your file lookss as follows

                        =====
                        LINESTART this is the rest of the first line
                        LINESTART this is the rest of another line
                        etc.
                        =====

                        :%s/^LINESTART.*/replacement/gc

                        will:

                        -replace every line starting with "LINESTART" with the text
                        "replacement" and prompt for

                        In detail:

                        :%

                        means "work on all lines of the file"

                        s/...//gc

                        means "search and replace globally (g) with confirmation (c)"

                        ^LINESTART

                        means "match every occurence of string LINESTART at the beginning of a
                        line (^)"

                        .*

                        means "followed by any character (.) 0 or any times (*)"

                        Cheers,

                        Wolfgang
                      • Charles E. Campbell, Jr.
                        Message 11 of 17 , Dec 1, 2005
                          Chris Hudson wrote:

                          >How would I replace every line in a file that starts with certain text, for
                          >example every line that begins with 22.

                          :g/^22/d

                          If you wanted to avoid lines that began with 221, though...

                          :g/^22[^0-9]/d

                          Regards,
                          Chip Campbell
                        • Frans Grotepass
                          Message 12 of 17 , Dec 1, 2005
                            On Thursday 01 December 2005 17:30, Chris Allen wrote:
                            > On 01/12/05, Chris Hudson <chudson@...> wrote:
                            > > How would I replace every line in a file that starts with certain text,
                            > > for example every line that begins with 22.
                            >
                            > The 'substitute' command. For example:
                            >
                            > %s/^22.*$/my replacement text/
                            >
                            > That would replace anywhere in the whole file (%) a string which
                            > started (^) with 22 (22) and then continued on with anything (or even
                            > nothing) (.*) to the end of the line ($). See also :help :s
                            >
                            > You can also delete any line starting with a certain string using the
                            >
                            > :global command, if you decide you'd rather do that. Something like:
                            > :g/^22/ d
                            >
                            > HTH,
                            > Chris Allen

                            Hi Chris and others,

                            This is one of the first decent answers I've seen on this list. I've been
                            using (g)Vim now for a number of years sporadically. Recently I've changed
                            jobs and I now have a development job in embedded linux, so I am using Vim
                            more often now. The last few months I've made a concerted effort to improve
                            my Vim skills. Using the Vim Regular expressions is obviously one of the
                            powerful tools in the search/replace functions. They are explained in the
                            help.

                            This response is however a good example of how one can learn via example. Most
                            of the answers on questions on this list is simply a post of the commandline
                            and it is assumed that the person asking the question knows what the symbols
                            mean in the search replace. Your response does however show exactly what each
                            expression does and makes it easier for the reader helped by your response to
                            achieve fluency in regular expressions faster.

                            Best regards,

                            Frans Grotepass