Re: [OT] vi commands in bash

  • Jean-Rene David
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 1, 2005
      * Robert Cussons <r.cussons@...>:
      > I just found out about putting: set -o vi in
      > my .bashrc

      Two thoughts:

      - although useful on this list for informational
      purposes, I think requests to modify bash will
      be more useful on a bash-related list;

      - I personnally find zsh's vi-mode far better
      than bash's, and more flexible to boot. For
      example, you could do what you are asking fairly
      easily.

      But let's not get too far off-topic...

      --
      JR
    • Denio, Michael (IT)
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 1, 2005
        You may want to try zsh. I've found the the vi mode to be superior to
        bash.

        NOTICE: If received in error, please destroy and notify sender. Sender does not waive confidentiality or privilege, and use is prohibited.
      • Matthew Winn
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 1, 2005
          On Thu, Dec 01, 2005 at 10:20:40AM -0500, Denio, Michael (IT) wrote:
          > You may want to try zsh. I've found the the vi mode to be superior to
          > bash.

          I've had trouble with recent versions of Zsh and Vim on some platforms.
          With Zsh version 4.x.x everything would work OK until I went into Vim
          and then used :sh to open an interactive subshell. After I left the
          subshell the next key I pressed in Vim caused Vim to abort claiming that
          it was unable to read its input. I spent an hour or two trying to track
          the problem down but never managed to find the cause.

          Zsh version 3.1.9 works perfectly.

          --
          Matthew Winn (matthew@...)
        • Robert Cussons
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 1, 2005
            Jean-Rene David wrote:

            >* Robert Cussons <r.cussons@...>:
            >

            >>I just found out about putting: set -o vi in
            >>my .bashrc
            >>

            >Two thoughts:
            >
            >- although useful on this list for informational
            > purposes, I think requests to modify bash will
            > be more useful on a bash-related list;
            >
            >- I personnally find zsh's vi-mode far better
            > than bash's, and more flexible to boot. For
            > example, you could do what you are asking fairly
            > easily.
            >
            >But let's not get too far off-topic...

            Hi Jean,

            thanks for the advice, it wasn't so much a request to modify bash, it
            was a request for advice on how to work around bash in its present state
            with mappings etc. and I thought people well versed in Vim might know
            how to perform the relevant action as they might have tried to do it
            themselves. But I will try submitting to a bash related list and see if
            I have any joy.
            Rob.
          • Charles E. Campbell, Jr.
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 1, 2005
              Denio, Michael (IT) wrote:

              >You may want to try zsh. I've found the the vi mode to be superior to
              >bash.

              >NOTICE: If received in error, please destroy and notify sender. Sender does not waive confidentiality or privilege, and use is prohibited.

              Hopefully no one has received your email in error! However, how does
              one notify a sender that has been destroyed already? Besides, is there
              a preferred method for destroying the sender? Perhaps cruise
              missiles? Hmm, the use of what is prohibited? Did I just use
              something? Uh oh...

              Don't y'all just love the legal argle bargle disclaimers... at least
              this one was short.
              Chip Campbell
            • Mark Volkmann
              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 24, 2006
                On 12/1/05, Robert Cussons <r.cussons@...> wrote:
                > Hi all,
                >
                > I just found out about putting: set -o vi in my .bashrc to get vim
                > style command line editing in bash

                Cool! But how do you do command-line completion? The tab key no
                longer does that when in vi mode.

                --
                R. Mark Volkmann
                Partner, Object Computing, Inc.