Re: Sort a set of lines

  • hermitte@free.fr
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 2, 2005
      Hello,

      Giorgos Gaganis <G.Gaganis@...> wrote:

      > I would like to sort a few lines in a buffer. I have looked at tip #588
      > but didn't help me much because I couldn't find the scripts it refers to.
      > Any help would be greatly appreciated.

      In system_utils (<http://hermitte.free.fr/vim/ressources/vimfiles/plugin/>), you
      will found code, for :Sort, posted by Piet Delport on this list a few years ago.

      Otherwise, on unix, a simple
      :'<,'>!sort sould do it.

      --
      Luc Hermitte
    • Tim Chase
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 2, 2005
        > Otherwise, on unix, a simple
        > :'<,'>!sort sould do it.

        It will work on Windows/Dos as well, as there's a "sort" command there
        as well...a tad more braindead, as it doesn't allow for all the nice
        parameters you can pass to unix/gnu "sort", but for simple
        alpha-sorting, it will suffice. If you want numerical sorting or sorting
        by characters other than in the first position, you'll likely have to
        install cygwin or one of the other ports of GNU tools to Win32.

        -tim
      • Charles E. Campbell, Jr.
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 2, 2005
          Giorgos Gaganis wrote:

          > I would like to sort a few lines in a buffer. I have looked at tip
          > #588 but didn't help me much because I couldn't find the scripts it
          > refers to.
          > Any help would be greatly appreciated.

          Well, tip 588 refers to
          http://mysite.verizon.net/astronaut/vim/index.html#VimFuncs (see "Visual
          Block Sorting" -- the topics are in alphabetical order). The original
          tip refers to my old website; you'd have to look at the "Additional
          Notes" to see the new website, as we cannot edit our tips. Wish we
          could! That said, the tip is referring to using visual block-based
          based sorting (ie. use ctrl-v to select a rectangular region). One can
          sort lines based on just the text in a column, or sort just the contents
          of the column (leaving the text outside of the column alone).

          It seems you want to do some straight sorting of whole lines. If you
          have a decent external sort program, perhaps
          :[range]!sort
          where you pick the range (ie. :25,43!sort to sort lines 25-43
          inclusive). If you happen to be using vim 7.0, then the built-in sort
          command is available:
          :[range]sort

          Regards,
          Chip Campbell