Sort a set of lines

  • Giorgos Gaganis
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 2, 2005
      Hello

      I would like to sort a few lines in a buffer. I have looked at tip #588
      but didn't help me much because I couldn't find the scripts it refers to.
      Any help would be greatly appreciated.

      Giorgos
    • Chris Allen
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 2, 2005
        On 02/11/05, Giorgos Gaganis <G.Gaganis@...> wrote:
        > I would like to sort a few lines in a buffer. I have looked at tip #588
        > but didn't help me much because I couldn't find the scripts it refers to.
        > Any help would be greatly appreciated.

        You can do this, if you're on something Unix-like, with the :!
        (filter) command. Select your lines visually then type

        :!sort

        If you want to give Vim7 a try you will find it comes with a
        convenient :sort command.

        HTH,
        Chris Allen
      • hermitte@free.fr
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 2, 2005
          Hello,

          Giorgos Gaganis <G.Gaganis@...> wrote:

          > I would like to sort a few lines in a buffer. I have looked at tip #588
          > but didn't help me much because I couldn't find the scripts it refers to.
          > Any help would be greatly appreciated.

          In system_utils (<http://hermitte.free.fr/vim/ressources/vimfiles/plugin/>), you
          will found code, for :Sort, posted by Piet Delport on this list a few years ago.

          Otherwise, on unix, a simple
          :'<,'>!sort sould do it.

          --
          Luc Hermitte
        • Tim Chase
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 2, 2005
            > Otherwise, on unix, a simple
            > :'<,'>!sort sould do it.

            It will work on Windows/Dos as well, as there's a "sort" command there
            as well...a tad more braindead, as it doesn't allow for all the nice
            parameters you can pass to unix/gnu "sort", but for simple
            alpha-sorting, it will suffice. If you want numerical sorting or sorting
            by characters other than in the first position, you'll likely have to
            install cygwin or one of the other ports of GNU tools to Win32.

            -tim
          • Charles E. Campbell, Jr.
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 2, 2005
              Giorgos Gaganis wrote:

              > I would like to sort a few lines in a buffer. I have looked at tip
              > #588 but didn't help me much because I couldn't find the scripts it
              > refers to.
              > Any help would be greatly appreciated.

              Well, tip 588 refers to
              http://mysite.verizon.net/astronaut/vim/index.html#VimFuncs (see "Visual
              Block Sorting" -- the topics are in alphabetical order). The original
              tip refers to my old website; you'd have to look at the "Additional
              Notes" to see the new website, as we cannot edit our tips. Wish we
              could! That said, the tip is referring to using visual block-based
              based sorting (ie. use ctrl-v to select a rectangular region). One can
              sort lines based on just the text in a column, or sort just the contents
              of the column (leaving the text outside of the column alone).

              It seems you want to do some straight sorting of whole lines. If you
              have a decent external sort program, perhaps
              :[range]!sort
              where you pick the range (ie. :25,43!sort to sort lines 25-43
              inclusive). If you happen to be using vim 7.0, then the built-in sort
              command is available:
              :[range]sort

              Regards,
              Chip Campbell