Re: Using :make can't see first error

  • Stefan Karlsson
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 1, 2005
      Ernest Obusek wrote:
      > I use :make to run a build script and then show the errors. The
      > cursor always goes to the location of the first error, but the error
      > message does not show on the bottom line. If I switch to the next
      > error and then back, then I do see the error message. Can anyone
      > explain why I don't see the first message?
      >
      > Thanks!
      >
      > Ernest

      No, I don't know why. However, if you do :cc you will see it (i.e. you
      don't have to switch to the next and then back again).

      --
      Stefan Karlsson | stefan.74@...
    • Bram Moolenaar
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 22, 2005
        [Sorry for the delay in replying, I have been on a trip to Uganda and
        I'm still catching up with e-mail.]

        > I use :make to run a build script and then show the errors. The
        > cursor always goes to the location of the first error, but the error
        > message does not show on the bottom line. If I switch to the next
        > error and then back, then I do see the error message. Can anyone
        > explain why I don't see the first message?

        The message is overwritten by something else, probably for opening the
        file. It's one of those situations where there are several messages
        fighting for the space where only one message fits, and you don't want
        to scroll and get the more-prompt either.

        You can use ":cc" to redisplay it.

        --
        In a world without fences, who needs Gates and Windows?