Using :make can't see first error

  • Ernest Obusek
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 1, 2005
      I use :make to run a build script and then show the errors. The
      cursor always goes to the location of the first error, but the error
      message does not show on the bottom line. If I switch to the next
      error and then back, then I do see the error message. Can anyone
      explain why I don't see the first message?

      Thanks!

      Ernest
    • Stefan Karlsson
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 1, 2005
        Ernest Obusek wrote:
        > I use :make to run a build script and then show the errors. The
        > cursor always goes to the location of the first error, but the error
        > message does not show on the bottom line. If I switch to the next
        > error and then back, then I do see the error message. Can anyone
        > explain why I don't see the first message?
        >
        > Thanks!
        >
        > Ernest

        No, I don't know why. However, if you do :cc you will see it (i.e. you
        don't have to switch to the next and then back again).

        --
        Stefan Karlsson | stefan.74@...
      • Bram Moolenaar
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 22, 2005
          [Sorry for the delay in replying, I have been on a trip to Uganda and
          I'm still catching up with e-mail.]

          > I use :make to run a build script and then show the errors. The
          > cursor always goes to the location of the first error, but the error
          > message does not show on the bottom line. If I switch to the next
          > error and then back, then I do see the error message. Can anyone
          > explain why I don't see the first message?

          The message is overwritten by something else, probably for opening the
          file. It's one of those situations where there are several messages
          fighting for the space where only one message fits, and you don't want
          to scroll and get the more-prompt either.

          You can use ":cc" to redisplay it.

          --
          In a world without fences, who needs Gates and Windows?