Re: Caps Lock

  • John Love-Jensen
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 1, 2005
      Hi Rob,

      I usually disable Caps Lock altogether, in the OS. (Windows, OS X, Amiga
      OS.)

      Or remap Caps Lock to Control.

      Or use a Happy Hacking Keyboard Lite 2 (USB).

      HTH,
      --Eljay
    • Dominic Evans
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 1, 2005
        On 01/11/05, Keith W. Roberts <keithr@...> wrote:
> [...]

        Ah `[ and `].

        However, the latter one seems to be non-inclusive and miss off the
        last typed character. The following worked:

        `[gU'.

        Cheers,
        Dom
      • Hari Krishna Dara
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 1, 2005
          On Tue, 1 Nov 2005 at 12:49pm, Moshe Kaminsky wrote:

          > Hi,
          >
          > * Robert Cussons <r.cussons@...> [01/11/05 12:29]:
          > >
          > > Hi all,
          > >
          > > don't know how difficult or possible this is to do, but here goes!
          > >
          > > I sometimes want to write a large amount of test in capitals so I turn on
          > > Caps Lock, but then I want to use commands and forget that Caps Lock is on
          > > and obviously get unexpected results. Is there a way to get Vim to ignore
          > > Caps Lock when in command mode, but still allow me to press <shift> + o for
          > > example to get O in command mode, with Caps Lock on. Example to clarify the
          > > above:
          > > I am typing away with Caps Lock on, then I enter command mode and want to
          put
          > > in a blank line above the one I am on, so I want the command for this to
          > > still be <shift> + o, even though I have Caps Lock turned on.
          > > Hope at least someone can understand what I mean!
          >
          > Maybe instead of pressing Caps, you should :imap any non capital letter
          > to a capital one. Then, when you are done, unmap it. All this should be
          > done by a suitable command, of course.

          Yep, that is what came into my mind too. You should really use a "soft"
          version of capslock, implemented in Vim. Something like to start with:

          function! ToggleCaps()
          if !exists('g:capslock')
          let g:capslock = 0
          endif
          let lc=char2nr('a')
          let diff=lc - char2nr('A')
          let c = lc
          while c < (lc+26)
          if !g:capslock
          exec 'inoremap' nr2char(c) nr2char(c-diff)
          else
          exec 'iunmap' nr2char(c)
          endif
          let c = c + 1
          endwhile
          let g:capslock = !g:capslock
          endfunction
          nnoremap <silent> \cl :call ToggleCaps()<CR>:echo "Caps lock is
          ".(g:capslock?"ON":"OFF")<CR>

          Extending this to all keys would require more sohisticated mapping.

          --
          HTH,
          Hari

          http://mail.yahoo.com