Re: Caps Lock

  • Tim Chase
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 1, 2005
      > I don't think there is a way to do that. However you could
      > avoid CAPS LOCK all together...
      [snip]
      > mp
      > TYPE TEXT
      > :'p,'.s/.*/\U&/

      Well, there's also visually highlighting the text and pressing
      "U" to force the selected text to be highlighted.

      Additionally, if it's all a paragraph (delineated by blank lines
      above and below), you can use

      gUip

      to uppercase the entire paragraph. If it's just a sentence
      (":help sentence"), you can use

      gUis

      Or for that matter, any other text object or motion should do
      just fine with the "gU" command.

      :help gU
      :he is
      :he ip
      :he text-objects

      for some pointers on these.

      -tim
    • John Love-Jensen
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 1, 2005
        Hi Rob,

        I usually disable Caps Lock altogether, in the OS. (Windows, OS X, Amiga
        OS.)

        Or remap Caps Lock to Control.

        Or use a Happy Hacking Keyboard Lite 2 (USB).

        HTH,
        --Eljay
      • Dominic Evans
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 1, 2005
          On 01/11/05, Keith W. Roberts <keithr@...> wrote:
> [...]

          Ah `[ and `].

          However, the latter one seems to be non-inclusive and miss off the
          last typed character. The following worked:

          `[gU'.

          Cheers,
          Dom
        • Hari Krishna Dara
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 1, 2005
            On Tue, 1 Nov 2005 at 12:49pm, Moshe Kaminsky wrote:

            > Hi,
            >
            > * Robert Cussons <r.cussons@...> [01/11/05 12:29]:
            > >
            > > Hi all,
            > >
            > > don't know how difficult or possible this is to do, but here goes!
            > >
            > > I sometimes want to write a large amount of test in capitals so I turn on
            > > Caps Lock, but then I want to use commands and forget that Caps Lock is on
            > > and obviously get unexpected results. Is there a way to get Vim to ignore
            > > Caps Lock when in command mode, but still allow me to press <shift> + o for
            > > example to get O in command mode, with Caps Lock on. Example to clarify the
            > > above:
            > > I am typing away with Caps Lock on, then I enter command mode and want to
            put
            > > in a blank line above the one I am on, so I want the command for this to
            > > still be <shift> + o, even though I have Caps Lock turned on.
            > > Hope at least someone can understand what I mean!
            >
            > Maybe instead of pressing Caps, you should :imap any non capital letter
            > to a capital one. Then, when you are done, unmap it. All this should be
            > done by a suitable command, of course.

            Yep, that is what came into my mind too. You should really use a "soft"
            version of capslock, implemented in Vim. Something like to start with:

            function! ToggleCaps()
            if !exists('g:capslock')
            let g:capslock = 0
            endif
            let lc=char2nr('a')
            let diff=lc - char2nr('A')
            let c = lc
            while c < (lc+26)
            if !g:capslock
            exec 'inoremap' nr2char(c) nr2char(c-diff)
            else
            exec 'iunmap' nr2char(c)
            endif
            let c = c + 1
            endwhile
            let g:capslock = !g:capslock
            endfunction
            nnoremap <silent> \cl :call ToggleCaps()<CR>:echo "Caps lock is
            ".(g:capslock?"ON":"OFF")<CR>

            Extending this to all keys would require more sohisticated mapping.

            --
            HTH,
            Hari

            http://mail.yahoo.com