Re: why can't I access the sys menu to minimize gvim window using the keyboard?

  • Georg Dahn
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 1, 2005
      Hi!

      It works for me, thus it might be some configuration in your .vimrc file
      which prevents it from working. (That is, both <Alt>-<Space> and typing
      <Alt> and then <Space> work for me.)

      Best regards,
      Georg

      Mike Bryan wrote:

      >I've been using gvim for years and this is one thing I've never been able to
      >figure out.
      >
      >In Windows you can generally hit Alt-spacebar in an app to get the
      >system menu to drop down. This works in a DOS window, 4NT window and
      >just about any other Windows app I've tried. However, it doesn't work
      >with gvim (currently using 6.3).
      >
      >The Alt-spacebar key combination seems to be ignored by gvim.
      >
      >I am able to quickly minimize the current window I'm working in with
      >this key combination:
      > Alt-spacebar +N
      >This doesn't work with gvim on Windows and I can't find any way to do
      >it with a vim command either.
      >
      >Am I missing something obvious?
      >
      >thanks!
      >-mike
      >
      >OS: Windows XP Pro
      >gvim: 6.3.67

    • Mike Bryan
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 1, 2005
        Jason,
        yes I am able to use <Alt> then <Space> and that does work. I guess I
        had never tried it that way before.

        Tim, your suggestion of adding this command to my _vimrc file gives me
        exactly what I want!
        :map <M-Space> :simalt ~<CR>

        I also added this command, and now a simple Ctrl-M minimizes my vim window;
        :map <C-m> :simalt ~n<CR>

        Thanks everyone! I appreciate the responses, this all helps a lot.

        -mike

        On 10/1/05, Tim Chase <vim@...> wrote:
        > I'm not sure it qualifies as "obvious", but it is a vim
        > peculiarity. Vim does indeed see the alt+space. However, it's
        > available for other mappings. Your answer is found in the
        > "simalt" section of the help:
        >
        > :help simalt
        >
        > where you'll find
        >
        > :map <M-Space> :simalt ~<CR>
        > This maps Alt-Space to pop down the system menu for the
        > Vim window. Note that ~ is used by simalt to represent
        > the <Space> character.
        >
        > If you put that mapping in your vimrc file (verbatim, with the
        > tilde and "<" and ">" signs), it should restore the expected
        > functionality.
        >
        > -tim
      • A. J. Mechelynck
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 2, 2005
          Mike Bryan wrote:
          > I've been using gvim for years and this is one thing I've never been able to
          > figure out.
          >
          > In Windows you can generally hit Alt-spacebar in an app to get the
          > system menu to drop down. This works in a DOS window, 4NT window and
          > just about any other Windows app I've tried. However, it doesn't work
          > with gvim (currently using 6.3).
          >
          > The Alt-spacebar key combination seems to be ignored by gvim.
          >
          > I am able to quickly minimize the current window I'm working in with
          > this key combination:
          > Alt-spacebar +N
          > This doesn't work with gvim on Windows and I can't find any way to do
          > it with a vim command either.
          >
          > Am I missing something obvious?
          >
          > thanks!
          > -mike
          >
          > OS: Windows XP Pro
          > gvim: 6.3.67

          The setting of 'winaltkeys' may have an influence on whether or not
          Alt-Space is recognise. My W32 gvim doesn't open the Control menu on
          Alt-Space with 'winaltkeys' set to "menu".

          ":simalt ~" (without the quotes, and W32 only) opens the Control menu.
          However that menu's accelerator keys are language-dependent. "Restore",
          for instance, would be ":simalt ~r" (&Restore) on your English-language
          Windows, but it is ":simalt ~v" (&Vorig formaat) on my Dutch one.

          To minimize the gvim window in a portable way, use the ":sus[pend]"
          command. To maximize it (or almost), use ":set lines=9999 columns=9999".
          To move and/or resize it, use the ":winpos" command and/or set the
          'lines' and 'columns' options. The current values of the options can be
          read as &lines and &columns, and the position can be read as
          getwinposx() and getwinposy().

          See
          :help 'winaltkeys'
          :help :simalt
          :help :suspend
          :help :winpos
          :help getwinposx()
          :help getwinposy()
          :help 'lines'
          :help 'columns'

          HTH,
          Tony.
        • adah@netstd.com
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 7, 2005
            Mike Bryan wrote:
            > I am able to quickly minimize the current window I'm working in with
            > this key combination:
            > Alt-spacebar +N
            > This doesn't work with gvim on Windows and I can't find any way to do
            > it with a vim command either.
            >
            > Am I missing something obvious?

            It seems you did not source mswin.vim. Though some buddies here do not
            like it, I do use it and feel that it makes Vim more Windows-like.

            Specifically, mswin.vim has the following lines:

            " Alt-Space is System menu
            if has("gui")
            noremap <M-Space> :simalt ~<CR>
            inoremap <M-Space> <C-O>:simalt ~<CR>
            cnoremap <M-Space> <C-C>:simalt ~<CR>
            endif

            You should at least have the interest to look at it to see whether there
            are more useful things in it. It gives you familiar mappings like
            <Ctrl-Tab>, <Ctrl-F4>, <Ctrl-A>, <Ctrl-Z>, and controversial ones like
            <Ctrl-V>, <Ctrl-Y>.

            Best regards,

            Yongwei