Re: Most Valuable Tricks

  • A. J. Mechelynck
    Message 1 of 27 , Oct 1, 2005
      Neil Watson wrote:
      > On Thu, Sep 29, 2005 at 09:36:28AM -0500, Tim Chase wrote:
      >> For those in the crowd (such as myself) that don't particularly care
      >> for Perl,
      >
      > Blasphemer!
      [...]

      Religious Integrist! ;-)

      Flaming will get us nowhere.

      Myself, I "don't particularly care" for any scripting languages other
      than Vim script and shell script, yet I include all possible languages
      in the Vim executables that I compile and publish, for the benefit of
      anyone who may want them.

    • A. J. Mechelynck
      Message 2 of 27 , Oct 1, 2005
        Matthew Winn wrote:
        [...]
        > The main difficulty I have with regular expressions is all the different
        > styles of grep out there. I don't just mean the fact that I have to
        > choose between egrep, fgrep and grep, but also that different versions
        > of Unix have different greps, each with a different set of characters
        > requiring backslashes.

        So hurrah for the new (v7) command :vimgrep, which does away with the
        need for an external grep command to handle file searching in Vim.

      • Frederico Franzosi
        Message 3 of 27 , Oct 3, 2005
          I'd like to thank you all for the valuable answers...
          You guys are the best!!!

          Happy vimming

          On 10/1/05, A. J. Mechelynck <antoine.mechelynck@...> wrote:
          > Matthew Winn wrote:
          > [...]
          > > The main difficulty I have with regular expressions is all the different
          > > styles of grep out there. I don't just mean the fact that I have to
          > > choose between egrep, fgrep and grep, but also that different versions
          > > of Unix have different greps, each with a different set of characters
          > > requiring backslashes.
          >

          > So hurrah for the new (v7) command :vimgrep, which does away with the
          > need for an external grep command to handle file searching in Vim.
          >
          > Best regards,
          > Tony.

        • David Fishburn
          Message 4 of 27 , Oct 7, 2005

            One of the features I use the most is use Visual Block mode to comment and
            uncomment code.

            one
            two
            three

            To comment the above lines:
            ------------------
            Place your cursor on the "o" of one.
            CTRL-v
            Down arrow (j) until the "t" in three is visually selected.
            I// (capital I, followed by your comment character).
            <Esc>

            To uncomment the above lines:
            ------------------
            Place your cursor on the first "/" of the first line.
            CTRL-v
            Down arrow (j) until the "/" in three is visually selected.
            Right arrow (l) until both "//"s are visually selected.

            Voila.

            I use this constantly.

            Dave
          • calmar
            Message 5 of 27 , Oct 9, 2005
              On Fri, Oct 07, 2005 at 10:22:04AM -0400, David Fishburn wrote:

              > One of the features I use the most is use Visual Block mode to comment and
              > uncomment code.
              >
              > one
              > two
              > three
              >
              > To comment the above lines:
              > ------------------
              > Place your cursor on the "o" of one.
              > CTRL-v
              > Down arrow (j) until the "t" in three is visually selected.
              > I// (capital I, followed by your comment character).
              > <Esc>
              >
              > To uncomment the above lines:
              > ------------------
              > Place your cursor on the first "/" of the first line.
              > CTRL-v
              > Down arrow (j) until the "/" in three is visually selected.
              > Right arrow (l) until both "//"s are visually selected.

              Just as a side note, there is also 'EnhancedCommentify.vim',
              what allows e.g marking the area and do something like a \c or \x for
              commenting.

              Cheers
              marco

              --
              calmar
              (o_ It rocks: LINUX + Command-Line-Interface