Re: temporary keyboard mappings

  • A. J. Mechelynck
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 1, 2005
      Robert Cussons wrote:
      > I don't know what you mean by 'inside' Vim, when I start up gvim I have the
      > command below in the .vimrc:
      >
      > !xmodmap ~/.speedswapper

      xmodmap is an external command.

      By "inside" Vim I mean "by purely Vim means" such as :map etc.

      > where the file .speedswapper is as follows:
      >
      > remove Lock = Caps_Lock
      > keysym Escape = Caps_Lock
      > keysym Caps_Lock = Escape
      > add Lock = Caps_Lock
      >
      > The trouble with having this is that each time I start a new gvim session it
      > remaps back to the old keys. In other words it alternates between being the
      > key mapping I want and the default one! I am using KDE on a linux network.
      > What I want is once the key mapping is made for it to remain on (so
      > maybe .vimrc is the wrong place for the command, as this is read everytime
      > gvim is started) but I only want this mapping to be in place for gvim, not
      > other applications and I have no idea how to achieve that!

      xmodmap applies to the whole of X.

      I don't think you can remap CapsLock for gvim and not for the rest of X
      i.e. all other applications including the windows manager itself.

      By executing that xmodmap command once at X startup (probably in a
      "service" triggered by init when entering the appropriate runlevel,
      number 5 IIRC) you could, if you have admin privileges on your system,
      interchange Esc and CapsLock once and for all for all users of X11 on
      that machine; but I guess you don't want that; and IIUC they would still
      be unswapped on non-X terminals such as the virtual consoles /dev/tty.

      P.S., Next time, please reply to the list (e.g., use "Reply to all") and
      not just privately to me (i.e., "Reply to Sender"). That way you will
      give other Vim users a chance to see your post, and you will get a reply
      even if I'm not available or if it's something to which I don't know the
      answer.