gvim shell

  • Sean Moore
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 27, 2005
      Hey,

      I know a text mode shell exists here:

      http://www.wana.at/vimshell/index.php

      but is there something similar for gvim?

      Thanks,
      --
      Sean Yail Moore
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 27, 2005
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 28, 2005
          Hi there,

          I agree with Tony's rant, I'm also stuck on a Windows platform at work
          here... a vimshell for Win32 would be cool :P

          I currently work by having a maximised dos box on my secondary monitor
          and a maximised gvim on my primary monitor. The vimshell approach seems
          like it could be a nice way to go though, so I don't have to shuffle
          through windows to find my dos box if it gets hidden by a web browser,
          explorer window, etc. I prefer gvim to console vim though, otherwise
          I'd probably try to mess around with a Win32 version of 'screen'.

          Back on-topic - sorry Sean but I also have no clever solution for you.

          Cheers,
          -G

          Tony Mechelynck wrote:
          > ----- Original Message ----- From: "Sean Moore" <seanymoore@...>

        • Marcin Komorowski
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 28, 2005
            Totally Agree,
            Not really having a choice of using Linux, I use Cygwin and gvim on a
            windows box and do 90% of my work there. A Windows vimshell would be
            awesome.

            Marcin
            > I agree with Tony's rant, I'm also stuck on a Windows platform at work
            > here... a vimshell for Win32 would be cool :P
            >
            > I currently work by having a maximised dos box on my secondary monitor and
            > a maximised gvim on my primary monitor. The vimshell approach seems like
            > it could be a nice way to go though, so I don't have to shuffle through
            > windows to find my dos box if it gets hidden by a web browser, explorer
            > window, etc. I prefer gvim to console vim though, otherwise I'd probably
            > try to mess around with a Win32 version of 'screen'.
            >
            > Back on-topic - sorry Sean but I also have no clever solution for you.
            >
            > Cheers,
            > -G
            >

            > Tony Mechelynck wrote:
            >> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Sean Moore" <seanymoore@...>

          • A. J. Mechelynck
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 28, 2005
              Marcin Komorowski wrote:
              > Totally Agree,
              > Not really having a choice of using Linux, I use Cygwin and gvim on a
              > windows box and do 90% of my work there. A Windows vimshell would be
              > awesome.
              >
              > Marcin
              > ----- Original Message ----- From: "Gareth Oakes" <goakes@...>

              [...]

              Actually I made that "rant" on principle: I might not use CMD.EXE inside
              Vim myself, but if someone else wants it, why not? I believe that if
              something gets included into Vim, it should be made as cross-platform as
              humanly possible. If it is restricted to one platform, then the reason
              not to include in another should be "it is not technically possible on
              platform X", not "it doesn't jibe with the customs of platform X's
              users". Trying to cater to the different mores of Windows users gave us
              mswin.vim, about which 'nuff said.

            • David Fishburn
              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 30, 2005

                I don't think I saw anyone mention this one:

                " Python Shell - terminal/shell buffer script for python enabled [g]vim
                " http://www.vim.org/scripts/script.php?script_id=165
                " Author: Brian Sturk

                HTH,
                Dave