Skip to search.

TERM types?

  • Mike
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 26, 2005
      Compiled on AIX VIM 6.3 for a user that wanted the X gui
      (earlier message). Now the user complains the TERM vt220
      is not compiled in/supported. I thought any unix program
      would simply use the termcap/terminfo for all terminal
      types. What's going on?

      Mike
    • Charles E. Campbell, Jr.
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 26, 2005
        Mike wrote:

        >Compiled on AIX VIM 6.3 for a user that wanted the X gui
        >(earlier message). Now the user complains the TERM vt220
        >is not compiled in/supported. I thought any unix program
        >would simply use the termcap/terminfo for all terminal
        >types. What's going on?

        Under Unix(like) systems, vim is compiled for both console and gui (that
        is, X).
        Which gets used depends on the name used to invoke the program (vim evim
        gvim etc). So, vt220 support is not "compiled in". Vim uses termcap/terminfo
        for console mode. For gui, as already mentioned, its using X+gtk, X+kde,
        X+athena, or whatever the configure script thought was appropriate.

        So, "what's going on" is that your user is confused. Is s/he using gvim or
        vim? If vim, what does "echo ${TERM}" show? Is that term available to
        the user via a termcap/terminfo setting? Try "infocmp ${TERM}", for
        example (assuming terminfo).

        Regards,
        Chip Campbell
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 26, 2005
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 27, 2005
            On Tue, 27 Sep 2005, Tony Mechelynck might have said:

> [...]

            Thanks for the help. I found the --with-tlib=curses is what I needed.

            Mike