Re: Help understanding "key mappings" as used in perl-support package

  • Chris Allen
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 4, 2005
      On 04/09/05, Steven Harms <steven.harms@...> wrote:
      > Just to make sure that I was in normal mode I hit <Esc> a couple
      > times, and then ran ":set insertmode?" and got noinsertmode back.
      > When i hit "\ - a w" I wind up in insert mode (as if [a]ppend were
      > hit) and the w character is there on the screen.

      If it is any consolation, I cannot get the mappings to work as
      advertised on Vim7 on OS X.

      Actually, it crashes gvim on OS X, so I shall have to have a look at
      that later on.

      HTH,
      Chris Allen
    • James Vega
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 5, 2005
        On Sat, Sep 03, 2005 at 11:50:27PM -0700, Steven Harms wrote:
        > Just to make sure that I was in normal mode I hit <Esc> a couple
        > times, and then ran ":set insertmode?" and got noinsertmode back.
        > When i hit "\ - a w" I wind up in insert mode (as if [a]ppend were
        > hit) and the w character is there on the screen.

        Are you actually typing 4 separate keys: \, -, a, w? If so, that's your
        problem. The mapping is "\aw" not "\-aw".

        > When you downloaded the suite did you have to do anything else? I
        > thought I followed the README as specified - but no joy.

        Nope. I just downloaded the suite and unzipped it in ~/.vim

        James
      • Steven Harms
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 5, 2005
          On 9/5/05, James Vega <jamessan@...> wrote:
          > On Sat, Sep 03, 2005 at 11:50:27PM -0700, Steven Harms wrote:
          > > Just to make sure that I was in normal mode I hit <Esc> a couple
          > > times, and then ran ":set insertmode?" and got noinsertmode back.
          > > When i hit "\ - a w" I wind up in insert mode (as if [a]ppend were
          > > hit) and the w character is there on the screen.
          >
          > Are you actually typing 4 separate keys: \, -, a, w? If so, that's your
          > problem. The mapping is "\aw" not "\-aw".

          No no! Sorry about the confusion there, I was actually using the
          trigraph, I meant to hyphenate the whole string but lost my
          consistency.

          Steven