Re: Expanding Syntax menu

  • Sean Hubbell
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 1, 2005
      Justin Randall wrote:

      >Hi,
      >I was wondering if anyone could tell me how to make the vim syntax menu expanded by
      >default. I have a key map that sets the syntax highlighting using the SetSyn function.
      >The problem is that this function is unknown unless I choose Syntax > Show Filetypes in
      >Menu. I want to be able to hve my key mapping work without choosing this option from the
      >dropdown menu. Does anybody have a solution to 'unfold' the syntax menu? Here is the
      >map:
      >
      >map <F4> <Esc>:cal SetSyn("cpp")<CR> " F4: turn on C++ syntax
      >
      >Thanks in advance,
      >Justin

      >http://mail.yahoo.com

      Try using

      :set ft=cpp

      Sean
    • Justin Randall

        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 1, 2005
          > I was wondering if anyone could tell me how to make the vim syntax menu
          > expanded by
          > default. I have a key map that sets the syntax highlighting using the
          > SetSyn function.
          > The problem is that this function is unknown unless I choose Syntax > Show
          > Filetypes in
          > Menu. I want to be able to hve my key mapping work without choosing this
          > option from the
          > dropdown menu. Does anybody have a solution to 'unfold' the syntax menu?
          > Here is the
          > map:
          >
          > map <F4> <Esc>:cal SetSyn("cpp")<CR> " F4: turn on C++ syntax
          >
          > Thanks in advance,
          > Justin

          You can trigger the menu "Syntax -> Show Filetypes in Menu" by means of the
          following command in your vimrc:

          if has("gui_running") && has("menu")
          let do_syntax_sel_menu = 1
          autocmd VimEnter * map {lhs} {rhs}
          endif

          (to do it later it's more complicated).

          This will supposedly slow your gvim startup considerably. Note the use of
          the autocommand to define your mapping at the end of startup, after loading
          the menus.

        • Justin Randall
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 1, 2005

            Thanks for your help Tony and Sean. Your GUI check statement was exactly what I was
            looking for! I noticed no slowdown whatsoever when loading gvim. Perhaps this is because
            I'm running it on a 3.2 GHz Xeon box. Thanks again guys.

            Take care,
            Justin

            http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs