Diffmode - 'Diffupdate on Save'

  • Dominic Evans
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 1, 2005

      Is there an easy addition to my .vimrc to make Vim do a 'diffupdate'
      automatically every time I save one of the buffers being diffed?

      Should this not be the default thing to do anyway?

      Regards,
      Dom
    • Bram Moolenaar
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 1, 2005
        Dominic Evans wrote:

        > Is there an easy addition to my .vimrc to make Vim do a 'diffupdate'
        > automatically every time I save one of the buffers being diffed?

        I didn't try it, but this should work:

        :au BufWritePost * diffupdate

        > Should this not be the default thing to do anyway?

        Why? Mostly the diff is updated when making changes. When it gets out
        of sync you need to invoke ":diffupdate", but that is not directly
        related to writing the file. One might as well want this for ":!ls" or
        ":help". At least I wouldn't want a user to write the file to get the
        diffs updated.

        --
        You are not really successful until someone claims he sat
        beside you in school.

      • Halim, Salman
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 1, 2005
          Sometimes, when I make a major change, an explicit diffupdate is called
          for (when, as you mention, the diff gets out of sync). Usually, I like
          to save major changes (call me paranoid), so I do use this:

          au BufWritePre * if (&diff) | diffupdate | endif

          Basically, if you have multiple windows open and not all are
          participating in a diff, why update the diff if the window you're saving
          isn't actually the one being diffed, I figure :)

          Regards,

          Salman.