Re: Error: "nothing in register" for visual block mode

    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 30, 2005
      From: "Ulrich Leopold" <uleopold@...>
      To: <vim@...>
      Cc: <Olivier_Faber@...>
      Sent: Tuesday, August 30, 2005 10:11 AM
      Subject: Error: "nothing in register" for visual block mode

      > Dear list,
      > I tried to install gvim-6.3 under Windows XP updated version. When trying
      > use the visual block mode with crtl+v I get the error message "nothing in
      > register". How can this be solved?
      > I installed gvim on several other machines with Windows without getting
      > this
      > message. Is it related to Windows, or the language settings or something
      > else?
      > Cheers, Ulrich

      I believe someone has slipped mswin.vim into your vimrc. This is what I

      Method I: Check your vimrc on the "problem" machine, and if you find a line

      source $VIMRUNTIME/mswin.vim
      runtime mswin.vim

      delete it. [That script only creates non-Vim-compatible mappings, in the
      (IMHO misguided) hope to make Vim "more friendly" to Windows users. I don't
      use it, and it doesn't give me any problems.]
      =Note:= If you see "source $VIMRUNTIME/vimrc_example.vim" or "runtime
      vimrc_example.vim", do NOT delete it. *That* script contains a lot of useful
      settings. If you don't like some of them, change them _after_ sourcing the

      Method II: Use Ctrl-Q instead of Ctrl-V (not only for block-visual but also
      in Insert and Command-line modes).

      Method III: use an other keystroke, for instance F12, by means of the
      following mappings:

      noremap <F12> <C-V>
      noremap! <F12> <C-V>

      where < is less-than, > is greater-than, and all the rest is also typed