Re: gvim segmentation fault

  • Suresh Govindachar
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 27, 2005
      Tony Mechelynck Sent on 28 Aug 2005 03:54:32 +0200:
      <luke@...> Sent: August 28, 2005 2:10 AM

      >> I recently started using gvim instead of vim for editing large
      >> numbers of files in one vim window. I'm using minibufexpl.vim.
      >> The advantage of gvim over commandline vim is that I can click on
      >> a file displayed along the top of the window by 'minibufexpl.vim'
      >> instead of having to ':bn' or ':bp' traverse through them (that's
      >> a great advantage if you have 20 or so files open :-).
      >>
      >> However when using gvim I wanted to open a second copy and have 2
      >> gvims running. This caused a segmentation fault and after I
      >> closed the first gvim I could not open gvim at all any more. I
      >> had to reinstall it! I am using gtkrc-2.0.
      >>
      >> - is there a way to use command line vim so that I can click on
      >> the filenames as explained above?
      >> - is there a way to use 2 copies of gvim without having the above
      >> problem?
      >> - if gtkrc-2.0 is the problem, is it possible to start gvim
      >> without gtk?
      >>

      > - The ":ls" command may help you. It doesn't allow you to
      > click, but, with the listing displayed, you can enter for
      > instance ":buffer 37" (using the numbers displayed alongside
      > the buffers' filenames). Those same numbers can be used with
      > other commands e.g. :sbuffer, :bdelete, :bwipeout, etc.

      Instead of the buffer's number, one can also use a _fragment_
      of the buffer's name! ("Fragment" meaning _any_ substring of
      the buffer's name.) This always works when the fragment is
      unique meaning it is the fragment of one and only one buffer
      name. _Sometimes_, when the fragment is not unique, hitting
      tab results in cycling through all buffers whose name contains
      that fragment. I say "sometimes" because there are times when
      hitting tab doesn't present a choice of buffers. (I have not
      yet taken time to figure out under what conditions tab works
      and doesn't work to provide a choice of buffers.)