Re: smallest dos version?

  • johanns@nacs.net
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 4, 2005
      On Fri, Aug 05, 2005 at 12:29:54AM +0200, Tony Mechelynck wrote:
> [...]

      At the risk of incurring Bram's wrath with this suggestion, it is hard
      to beat the obsolete Vim 3.0, if you need to leave a lot of space free
      on a floppy. This is back in the days when Vim stood for Vi IMitation
      instead of Vi IMproved. Most powerful features, including most of ex
      mode, are not supported and the help system is very minimal, but this
      version consisted of a tiny Vim.exe file and a small, optional Vim.hlp
      help file. There will be Vi incompatibilities and maybe some quirks but
      it is surprising how many vim features like visual mode and multiple
      windows are already present. I still use Vim 3 from time to time on
      ancient systems and it is adequate for little files, IMHO.

      If you are using a newer version of Vim consider obtaining an executable
      compressor like the old "pklite" program. This slows down starting the
      editor but can squeeze some extra free space on a floppy.
    • Tim Chase
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 4, 2005
        > At the risk of incurring Bram's wrath with this suggestion, it
        > is hard to beat the obsolete Vim 3.0, if you need to leave a
        > lot of space free on a floppy. This is back in the days when
        > Vim stood for Vi IMitation

        Well, there are also other vi clones that may take up less space,
        depending on which functionality you don't mind giving up. While
        this is the vim list, there are other such as Elvis, Vile,
        Stevie, etc. I had a vi clone that ran on my Apple II computer
        with its whopping 64k of memory and massive 360k floppies (I
        believe it was part of the the Pascal compiler), so you *can* get
        some sort of vi functionality in fairly little space.

        -tim
      • Steve Vance
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 4, 2005
          --- In vim@yahoogroups.com, "David M. Besonen" <davidb@p...> wrote:
          > want it as small as possible. i have some work i need
          > to do off of a floppy.

          If your computer with the floppy also happens to have a CD-ROM drive,
          you could download a "run from CD" version of Linux, of which Knoppix is
          the most well-known. Go to http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/index-en.html
          for more information. With it you get the latest version of vim, among
          (many) other things. No hard drive required. Of course, you don't say
          why you have only a floppy, but this might be helpful.

          stv
        • Tim Chase
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 5, 2005
            If you're willing to use other flavors of vi, "xvi" is one of the
            smallest dos versions I've found, clocking in at about 120k.
            It's just got basic functionality, but it'll do the job and still
            leave you room on a floppy for other stuff. You can find it
            available on Thomer Gil's "Vi Lovers Home Page" at

            http://thomer.com/vi/vi.html

            It's also a little tight with memory and may have trouble with
            files larger than a standard Dos memory segment (64k, if my
            memory serves, possibly minus any memory used by the program).

            -tim
          • Alan G Isaac
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 5, 2005
              On Fri, 05 Aug 2005, Tim Chase apparently wrote:
              > "xvi" is one of the
              > smallest dos versions I've found, clocking in at about 120k.
              > It's just got basic functionality, but it'll do the job and still
              > leave you room on a floppy for other stuff. You can find it
              > available on Thomer Gil's "Vi Lovers Home Page" at
              > http://thomer.com/vi/vi.html

              That page also links to "traditional vi"
              http://ex-vi.sourceforge.net/
              which is small and appears to be based on
              the original Unix source. I've no idea if it
              compiles for DOS...

              fwiw,
              Alan