Re: Default window width on win2000

    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 1, 2005
      ----- Original Message -----
      From: "Stephen Boulet" <stephen@...>
      To: <vim@...>
      Sent: Monday, August 01, 2005 11:24 PM
      Subject: Default window width on win2000

      > Can I change the default width of the gvim window when it launches? I'm
      > running under win2000. Thanks.
      >
      > _________
      > Stephen
      >
      > If your desktop gets out of control easily,
      > you probably have too much stuff on it that
      > doesn't need to be there.
      > Donna Smallin, "Unclutter Your Home"

      See
      :help 'lines'
      :help 'columns'
      :help :winpos

      Examples:
      To set 100 columns by 50 lines, 5 pixels away from the top and left
      sides of the screen:
      winpos 5 5
      set lines=50 columns=100

      To occupy the whole available screen space:
      winpos 0 0
      set lines=99999 columns=99999

      Add these lines to your vimrc. If you also change the 'guifont' you should,
      for best results, change the guifont first and the lines&columns afterwards,
      because changing the font may change the size of the gvim window.

      HTH,
      Tony.
    • Tim Chase
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 1, 2005
        > Can I change the default width of the gvim window when it
        > launches? I'm running under win2000. Thanks.

        In your gvimrc file, you should be able to set the 'columns'
        property to something more to your liking. From my own, I have

        set lines=100 columns=80

        Additionally, if you want it at a particular location, you can add

        au GUIEnter * winpos 600 0

        which will move the window to your desired location (though your
        window manager may also be smart about this). For more info,
        check out

        :help 'lines'
        :he 'columns'
        :he winpos